Weather in Kenya and Tanzania in August

Feb 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Weather in Kenya and Tanzania in August

I am heading to Kenya and Tanzania for 2 weeks at the beginning of August. What is the temperature? I'm use to warm weather, so I'm definitely thinking convertible pants and layers. I looked up some weather sites and they show Nairobi and Arusha, but not places like the Mara, Amboseli, Tarangire, the Crater, etc.
Thank you
Feb 25th, 2005, 03:59 PM

A great time for both places! Convertible pants and layers will be good. Tanzania, especially the crater, will be the coldest. Lows in the low 50s in Kenya, upper 40s in Tanzania, highs in the 70s.
Lots of sun screen. Have fun.
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:19 PM

i am planning a trip for the family in the begining of aug any name for good tour comapnies for safaris need to do the mara
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Silivia, try this website for world weather information:

http://www.worldweather.org
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Gloves and wool hat too for early morning drives. One year I hit a cold spell in August and I especially appreciated my winter attire.
Feb 26th, 2005, 06:21 AM
sandi

Although, technically, except for the wet seasons, there really aren't seasons in East Africa. That said, however, August is "winter" especially in the mornings and evening/nights and it can get cold. In order not to find yourself ill-prepared it's a good idea to dress in layers during these hours and have a pair of gloves, hat, scarf and wear socks. By the time you return from early games drives you should be able to put these items away and enjoy the balance of the day in mild temps. Then remember to take these accessories out again for your afternoon game drive. Better to be prepared then to be uncomfortable.

Feb 26th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I have added your suggestions and thermals to my packing list
Feb 27th, 2005, 07:42 AM

If I may make an underwear comment, based on experience...

Don't wear the thermal underwear on the morning game drive even though it may be cold and your thermals are quite cozy. It is especially enticing if you've worn them throughout the night and taking them off means enduring some nippy cold.

But, as has been mentioned here, by mid-day it is hot and there is not a good opportunity to remove the thermal underwear during the drive.

This is where your original idea of layers is good. Make your bottom layer the zip-offs and put a layer or two of sweats or loose pants over the zip-offs. Then you can strip off the top layer until you are down to the zip-offs. If need be, unzip the bottoms for the final costume change so that you remain comfortable with the warming temperatures.

I have even leafed through adventure wear catalogs to see if zip-off thermal underwear exits. Then you wouldn't need to remove your thermals if you had slept in them. You could put the zip-off pants over the zip-off thermals. As the sun grew warmer you could just zip off two layers--and voila, shorts.

It may seem a bit fanatical, but for any of you who suffer from always being terribly cold when others are sweating, dressing to avoid constant shivering is a big deal.
Feb 27th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Silivia

Unless you do fly-ins to camps such as Grumeti, Klein's, etc. your game drives will be in closed vehicles!

Depending on your vehicle you may not even have a pop-up roof, so a sweater/jacket with convertable pants will be plenty. If you have a pop-up roof, you may decide to keep it closed for a little while at the start of the drive.

At night, at lodges you will spend minimum time outside (or away from a warm fire) so no problems here. If you stay at tented camps or lodges with bush dinners you may once again need the long pants/sleeves, thin gloves and sweater/jacket.

Packing less on safari is better - leaving you with lots of room for souvenirs!

The secret is layering!

Search this Thread