Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Weather in Capetown, Mala Mala, Ngala, & Vic Falls (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/weather-in-capetown-mala-mala-ngala-and-vic-falls-667339/)

wkwb42a Jan 4th, 2007 04:28 PM

Weather in Capetown, Mala Mala, Ngala, & Vic Falls

In the end of Sept. and the beginning of Oct. 2007, we are going to Capetown, Mala Mala, Ngala, Vic Falls, and Jo'burg. Please tell us how the weather usually is in these areas at this time of year. What type of clothing should we bring? Also, are the Falls (Zambia side) usually impressive or down to a trickle at this time (mid-October)?

napamatt Jan 5th, 2007 11:05 AM

I will be at Mala Mala at the end of September, before moving up to Bots for Kings Pool and Mombo. MM will be cool in the morning before the sun gets up, you will probably need longs, I use the zip off kind, once the sun gets going it should warm up enough to be in shorts. Ditto with the end of the afternoon drive. After that I found a shirt and fleece was enough. We were there in October a few years ago after being in Bots first where it was over 100 most days, so probably felt the cold a bit more. I would think the falls will be very hot. Cape Town will be cooler, October being the N.Hemisphere equivalent of April and Cape Town having what is best described as a Mediteranean climate.

wkwb42a Jan 5th, 2007 12:28 PM

Thanx so much, napamatt, for the prompt and very helpful info! Sounds like the weather will be just fine, I think, and zip-off pants should work well for us. Did you stay at the Mala Mala main camp last time and is that where you are returning? (By the time we arrive at MM portion of our trip, it will actually be October.) If you were at MM main camp, it would be great if you could tell us all about it; this is our 1st trip to Africa.
Also, do you happen to know about Ngala main camp? Again, many thanks!

napamatt Jan 6th, 2007 09:03 AM

I have stayed at Main Camp 8 times, I will be there two weeks from tomorrow for 5 nights, with three more at Rattrays. Then we will do three nights at Main Camp in September at the start of our trip.

The accomodations at Main are excellent, even down to a socket that accepts US / UK plugs without needing an adaptor.
We love the dual bathrooms, the little deck from which there is plenty to see whether overlooking the river or the creek.
Food is excellent, in my opinion they are right to focus on simply, delicious food without trying to be fancy, the reason to be at Mala Mala is too see great game without roughing it.
Surely one of my favorite parts of the stay is hitting the cozy bar before dinner, selecting wine and adding up the days score - a fun game. Also in that bar, you can see brochures from when they opened in the sixties and see how things have changed.
Lastly a friend just got back and said that this year is pretty dry so far, if that continues then the viewing next September / October will be brilliant. We were there in October 2003 and barely got two miles from camp, we saw so much game.

Hope this helps.

wkwb42a Jan 7th, 2007 07:16 PM

Have a wonderful time, napamatt, on your next safari in less than 2 weeks now!! How is it that you get to go there so often?! I am sure that Mala Mala Main Camp has to be excellent on all counts if you've been there 8 times and 2 more coming up soon! Thanks so much again for your great info. We do appreciate all your descriptions and advice. Enjoy your vacation!

cary999 Jan 7th, 2007 07:50 PM

napamatt, I will be Mala main camp Sep14-20 (leave 20th). You also?
regards -tom

napamatt Jan 8th, 2007 05:40 AM

Tom

I am in around the 27th for three nights, so will miss you.