Weather in Cape in late March and June?

Nov 1st, 2000, 09:26 AM
Vicki

Weather in Cape in late March and June?

I am still wrangling with when I will be able to go to S.A.

How is the weather in late March, and also in early June? Which season would you prefer to go in?

I have read that June is winter in Cape Town, but how cold does it get? Is it grey and rainy?

Thank You for your help!!

Nov 1st, 2000, 11:12 AM
Mary

March is still warm and summer. Even though June is winter it can be warm or you may be unlucky and hit rain. It rarely gets very cold, although I suppose it is relative to what you are used to.

Nov 1st, 2000, 12:47 PM
Vicki

Thanks so much Mary -

I am from New York, so we get pretty cold winters.

I just want to try and get some sunny weather there, as I have heard and read the beaches are beautiful, and would love to take advantage of that! And some good views from Table Mountain!

Thanks again!

Nov 2nd, 2000, 05:27 AM
Tracy

Dear Vicki

If you want beach weather and mainly siteseeing go in March. In June you will be pretty much assured of rain but htat doesn't make the city and surrounds any less beautiful. It's winter in June then and CT is a winter rainfall area. Having just spent some time in NYC I can tell you that CT is a lot like NY in terms of weather in that you can expect all four seasons in one day. The humidity is just less. I'll probably get flack from the locals for this next comment but for me Cape Town does not have the best beaches in SA. They are great for lounging around but I would not recommend swimming - it's ice water throughout the year. Even the Muizenberg beaches on the Indian ocean side are pretty cold. If you want to see the mountains - stick to March, there's too much cloud about in June.

Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:41 PM
Sabrina

Another view:
Vicky,
I was in South Africa last June and it can get chilly. A nice leather jacket, but you won't need a winter parka. It rained only once but otherwise was beautiful and crisp outdoor.

And IMHO, Cape Town does indeed have the best beaches. Don't miss Camp's Bay when you're there.

Nov 4th, 2000, 07:17 PM
Vicki

Thanks so much Sabrina and Tracy!

It looks like it will have to be June, so I'll have to suck it up and deal with some rain!

I guess I'll just take a sweater and walk on the beaches. I am just thrilled that I will get to go there at all.

Thanks again - please let me know if I can be of any help in any way!

Search this Thread