Weather

Aug 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Weather

I am making a trip Nov 29 to Kenya and Tanzania. Tell me about weather and what is needed in the way of rain coat etc.
Aug 29th, 2005, 04:24 AM
sandi

November to mid-December is the "short" rains period in East Africa. This means it might rain during the late afternoon, or overnight. The afternoon storms are brief and settle the dust with little, if any, humidity afterwards. You will likely be in a closed vehicle for your afternoon game drive, so a rain slicker isn't needed. But it's a good idea to pack one of those $2 slickers in your bag.

In all my years on safaris we haven't experiences but 2-afternoon showers and once overnight rain. But weather of any sort can't be guaranteed from year-to-years - just be prepared.

Otherwise daytime temps are in the mid-70s; mornings and evenings/overnight between 55-60 - though it tends to be a bit warmer in Tanzania then Kenya. But if traveling to Samburu during the Kenya portion of your trip, it will be warmer here then in Nairobi and the Mara.

Pack with layers for your mornings and peel off at the day goes on. You can pack a swimsuit as a number of lodges and camps do have pools which are great during mid-day breaks - it's warm enough to swim.

For other clothing requirements, do a search on this board in the box at top of this board - enter "safari clothing" click "enter" or "search" on the right - threads containing such info will appear in the left column. You can read thru and get all what you may need as regards clothing.

Aug 29th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Sandi. you have answered several questions about what I need. I travel light but there are some things one can't do without. One more question please. Are all the tales about security accurate? Do I need all those precauctions they tell me ?
Aug 29th, 2005, 12:41 PM
sandi

Mittens -

Security where? While on safari? While in Nairobi? What specific questions? Do ask?

If Nairobi, you can read my trip report titled "Finally - My Trip Report - Tanzania/Kenya......." - just scroll down this page or the next and you'll find our time in Nairobi towards the end. We used normal precautions for being in any foreign or new city and went about our business and felt perfectly safe.

Other security questions/answers can be found throughout this board. Just do a search for them.

Search this Thread