we traveled Turkey after US attacks

Oct 4th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Tammy

we traveled Turkey after US attacks

My husband and I had been planning a trip to Turkey for months. We were scheduled to go September 16, and on September 11 it looked questionable. We did research about our safety by way of Embassies, Consulates, and Travel Boards. Everyone assured us that Turkey is a strong ally of the US and that we would be safe. We forged ahead, leaving on one of the first international flights after the grounding of all planes. We are so happy that we went!

Flying itself was much easier than expected, with little or no delays getting through tightened security. We flew Northwest/KLM in and out of Istanbul. While in Turkey we flew Turkish Airlines between the coast and Istanbul, which was also a positive experience.

As for our time in Turkey, we can't say enough good about it and have nothing negative to report. We were treated with nothing but the utmost kindness, and the compassion over our problems at home was overwhelming. We talked with people who made it very clear that they sympathize with us because they themselves have suffered terrorism for years, and made it very clear that their being Muslim has about as much to do with terrorism as Christianity had to do with the Nazis. Those who could not speak English pantomimed planes and crashes, touching their hearts and very clearing saying "I'm sorry" beyond the language barrier.

The Turkish people are the type of people we strive to be. Kind, compassionate, caring, gentle, gracious, and with hearts of gold. The pollution is high, the economy is low, and you should believe every horror story you hear about driving ... but it seems there's no more personally welcoming, warm, or safe place to be than with the Turkish.

If you are planning a trip and have any specific questions, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I would be happy to help if I can.

Oct 4th, 2001, 03:56 PM
Susan

I'm so happy that you had a great trip! Where did you go in Turkey? We were there last year for just a week and really want to go again.

Oct 5th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Tammy

Susan,

We were in Istanbul for a two days at the start (it was supposed to be three but our flight was delayed, we missed our connecting flight, and day one wound up spent wandering Amsterdam instead). From there we did the bravest thing ever of renting a car for six days. Driving turned out to be ok as long as we were alert and stuck to daylight hours.We drove to Secuk (south of Izmir) to see Ephesus and spend a few days on the beach, then went to Bafa Lake and continued a little farther south for more fun and sun on the Bodrum Peninsula. We dropped the car off in Bodrum and flew back to Istanbul for three more days there.

Our whole trip was 12 days. If we had it all to do again, we'd spring the extra $85 a person for another local flight and we'd leave Bodrum a bit earlier to make time for a quick stop in Capadoccia. Otherwise it was a great plan for us and we loved everything about it ... not bad for planning blindly from the other side of the world and with no one to turn to personally for advice.

Oct 6th, 2001, 10:43 AM
Susan

Sounds like a great trip Tammy! I definitely plan to go back.

Search this Thread