We leave for Africa on Sunday!

Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

We leave for Africa on Sunday!

Will be sure to post a whole trip report upon return. Just had a question for anyone who has been to Kenya or Tanzania recently...will i need a rain jacket? I don't have anything "waterproof" like gortex so I am deciding if i should make the purchase or risk going with out one. Any advice veterans?

-ToccareGirl
Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:24 AM
sandi

The rainy season in April-May and some in November, so you should be fine. If it happens to sprinkle, the lodges or camps usually have umbrellas for use around the accommodation. While on safari you will more then likely be in a closed vehicle with pop-top roof, so you'll be dry. If in an open vehicle, they should have ponchos. But, again - this isn't the rainy season. You should, however, have a warm jacket, heavy sweater, sweatshirt or layers of clothing (don't forget socks) for cool mornings and nights.

Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM

Have a FANTASTIC TIME!!! We leave next month for Kenya and Tanzania!! Yippee! Hooray!!! Yahoo!!! Can't wait to read your trip report. Bon voyage! And listen to Sandi about attire!
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:16 PM

ToccareGirl:

I would definitely be sure to take a sweatshirt or fleece jacket. When I was in Amboseli last October the days were beautiful but the evenings and very early mornings were quite cool.

We did have rain some evenings, but as Sandi said, most lodges and tented camps have umbrellas in the rooms for your use.

Have a fantastic trip!

Jan

Search this Thread