Water to drink in Uganda

Jul 23rd, 2013, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Water to drink in Uganda

I have read that it is preferable to bring a canteen for water to avoid creating unnecessary plastic waste, but then I also read to drink only water from sealed bottles to avoid contracting diseases. So what to do? I want the best for me and for Africa as well.
Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:00 AM

Some hotels and camps will have bottled water dispensers from which you can refill your own bottle that you bring with you. Also, one lodge we stayed at used some kind of boiling system so they had water in glass bottles on the cabin sinks, not plastic sealed bottles. So you could also fill your own bottle from that. I'd say you could at least take your own and use it some of the time if it's not too heavy.
Jul 26th, 2013, 05:13 PM

More often than not it's the locals/truck drivers who toss plastic water bottles on the roads, not visitors. If you do use water provided in sealed plastic bottles, the vehicles all have a waste bag into which to place empties once finished and this will be disposed of properly by your driver.
Jul 27th, 2013, 10:08 PM

Uganda now has the capacity to recycle plastic. I do recommend bottled water because then you are assured of not contracting water borne or hygiene related illnesses. Your tour operator should provide you with a waste bag to dispose of the used bottles. Your own bottle too is important as you may want to carry juice,soft drink etc

Search this Thread