Warning: SITA Tours Kenya

Jul 7th, 2019, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Warning: SITA Tours Kenya

I just returned from their Kenya tour and was horribly disappointed. The trip was supposed to be about the wildlife but we ended up spending most of our time driving long distances between parks. There was a 2 hour game drive in the afternoon on our first day, 2 hour game drive in the morning on another and what was supposed to be an all day game drive at Amboseli which ended at 1:30pm. Our worst day was when we spent 12 hours in the vehicle going from one park to another.

I emailed Mary, the travel agent I had been dealing with, 5 days into the trip, about my displeasure and heard nothing from her for 24 hours. I emailed again and was told that she was "collecting reports from the field" and would then get back to me. I've been back from the trip for 5 days and have heard nothing.

Appalling customer service, stay away from this company!

If you have any questions, just ask. The week before I had been on safari in Tanzania and had a wonderful time with lots of wildlife sightings. Highly recommended.
Jul 8th, 2019, 05:09 PM

Did you not review itineraries prior to booking so you could decide if they fit what you wanted, or didn't want, to do: long drives from one camp to another etc. Was what you experienced vastly different from that they told you you would be experiencing? Naturally if you were planning on visiting several locations you would have to get there somehow, and if you did not fly from location to location then you would of had to be driven.

I did research prior to our safari and specifically chose to go with Off Beat specifically because of the itinerary which did not involve driving from camp to camp...just animal sightseeing every day. I could not envision sitting in a van traveling for hours on end to get from one camp to the next.

I hope you get some resolve to this.
Jul 13th, 2019, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by michele_d View Post
Did you not review itineraries prior to booking so you could decide if they fit what you wanted, or didn't want, to do: long drives from one camp to another etc. Was what you experienced vastly different from that they told you you would be experiencing? Naturally if you were planning on visiting several locations you would have to get there somehow, and if you did not fly from location to location then you would of had to be driven.
Exactly. While the tour company may or may not have been any good, this sort of thing is entirely avoidable. OP has only herself to blame for not doing the necessary research, and it's too bad OP came on here to vent after the fact -- and didn't take the time to come on here to ask experience folks for their thoughts on the itinerary.

Sometimes you do your homework and get still burned, but this is not such a situation. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for OP.