Warning !

Aug 20th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Warning !

Hi ! I am back from Tanzania where I did a fabulous trip but I lived a bad experience which I like to share.
I bought a tanzanite in the Cultural Heritage Center in Arusha. When I came back at home, I went to a jeweller to certify that it was a true tanzanite. He told me that this stone is just a piece of synthetic glas !!! So be aware, the manager of this shop is just a gangster and if you even want to buy a stone there, ask for a written certificate !
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:12 AM

I hate to say it but if someone is going to be dishonest the written certificate will very likely also be fake. Best to know your stones or not be worried if it is fake ie don't take it to a jeweller at home.

Thanks for the warning friendly it is important information for us to know.

J
Aug 20th, 2004, 10:43 AM

I will be leaving for Tanzania next week; can anyone recommend a reputable place to buy Tanzanite? Maybe some basic prices??
Aug 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM

This type of thing has always worried me when I shop in unknown places. My mother got scammed on a rug in Turkey and we bought an "alabaster" vase in Egypt that turned out to be paper mache. At least in our case the vase did not cost all that much and is a humerous momento of our trip - but I always worry about spending a larger amount of money someplace far away.

If you paid with a credit card, you may have some recourse thru them - my mother got satisfaction thru her credit card (rug was purchased in Turkey, shipped to US and upon arrival was not the rug she bought and in addition had a hole in the middle) - they credited her account.
Aug 20th, 2004, 02:26 PM
sandi

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but I wouldn't buy a diamond in South Africa unless I went directly to a factory with a good recommendation from someone who has done business there previously. And I'd still be leery. Unless you know your stones and their value ahead of time, this is not something for novices to do.

At one time the price of Tanzanite was reasonable regardless where purchased, but over the past three years this stone has become highly prized - with demand being greatest amongst Americans - and prices have skyrocketed. So I can understand why it would be tempting to buy Tanzanite in the country where it is mined.

At least when it comes to buying pearls, you can rub them against your teeth (tacky, but it's the only way) and a diamond can be tested by cutting a piece of glass, but what's the test for Tanzanite?

Even Tiffany's got ripped off with fake emeralds a few years back. It happens to the best out there. So unless you know your gems and are working with a reputable supplier - it's like buying a pig in a poke!

Try to get your money back thru your credit card company. But thanks for the heads-up!

Search this Thread