Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Want to work with Robin Pope Safaris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/want-to-work-with-robin-pope-safaris-593664/)

jasher Feb 23rd, 2006 09:39 AM

Want to work with Robin Pope Safaris?

Hello,

Got this through the ATTA newsletter service -- might be a great opportunity for someone out there!

Robin Pope Safaris in the South Luangwa has vacancies as follows:

Reservationist and Assistant Marketing - two or three year contract available to someone wanting to live in the bush, use their tour operations and reservation skills and be part of a dynamic, fun and successful team. Work is hard, and pay not fantastic but it's a great life in the bush !

Food and Beverage Manager - either temporary (6 months from mid May) or permanent to run a team of seven caterers, in six bush kitchens.

Seasonal Caterers - mid May to mid November, hosting, catering and assistant managing at our camps.

And if this does not grab you then send it onto your friend who has the Africa bug and the perfect qualifications.

Please contact Jo with CV, and jpeg pic.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Julian

Nyamera Feb 23rd, 2006 10:59 AM

Thanks Julian. This is interesting information. If it were in Kenya I’d be writing a fake CV right now. It sounds too good to be true though - from my perspective and not from the perspective of unemployed Zambians. Can a foreigner get a work permit for those kinds of jobs in Zambia? I think I’ll try anyway. How difficult can it be to appear skilled in tour operations and reservation? :-?

divewop Feb 23rd, 2006 11:30 AM

Nyamera-
I believe you can get a work permit if you've got someone sponsoring you. Maybe you should investigate it a bit or call the folks at Robin Pope and do a little schmoozing or as we say it, "sucking up"! Just a thought! ;-) :D

Nyamera Feb 23rd, 2006 12:24 PM

Thanks Divewop. Does “sponsoring” mean “paying bribes”? If it were in Kenya or Tanzania I’d do a little email “sucking up” in Swahili, or something. I’d never dare calling. I know almost nothing about Zambia, and English is not even my second language. I did investigate Jo and I don’t think she would be impressed by my organisational skills. Though it sounds like it’s worth trying anyway.

BTW, your Rwanda assignment sounds amazing and Kimburu’s garden elephant almost made me cry. I fear making that thread deteriorate even more.

jasher Feb 23rd, 2006 12:48 PM

Hello,

I believe sponsoring means that they guarantee that you have a firm job offer etc so the country you are entering isn't concerned that you will end up on the dole or needing some sort of government assistance. People who come to work in the UK from other countries need an employer to sponsor their work permit.

Remember...the only way you can guarantee not getting the job is by not applying in the first place!

Cheers,
Julian

sandi Feb 23rd, 2006 01:08 PM

Even in Kenya, a work permit is required for non-residents and this can entail jumping thru hoops - sponsored or not.

I had inquired for a friend and was told that the government has been cracking down these past few years.

The alternative was being an illegal alien. As an American, with our own problems, this just wasn't an option for my friend. She's still pondering.

Julian -

We have the same rules in the US, but one wouldn't know it. Amazing how visitors here on a tourist visa so easily get lost from those who should be checking.

The safari camp/lodge communities (I have to believe in all countries) are so small, any new face, regardless the color or nationality, can't easily be hidden.

Something to check on before getting your hopes up.

Nyamera Feb 23rd, 2006 01:12 PM

Julian,
I looked up the Zambian unemployment rate and it was 50% in 2000 – the reality is probably worse. I don’t think you get government assistance if you become part of that 50% … I just find it strange that foreigners would be allowed to take jobs that could be done by Zambians.

I’ll try to make up a CV. Is there a last date for applying?

divewop Feb 23rd, 2006 01:14 PM

Ya know, the more I think about it, the more I'm liking the way those jobs sound too. And I'd be a lot closer to the wildlife I love to photograph and a lot closer to Rwanda. Hmmm :?

Nyamera, maybe we can propose that both of us go to work for them. Just another thought (of which I'm having way too many) ;-)

jasher Feb 23rd, 2006 01:17 PM

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't have any information other than what I posted -- you may want to email Jo Pope and enquire about the deadline.

I think the reason they are recruiting externally is that few local people would have experience in tour operations and reservations at a safari company. Nyamera, you've planned your own trips and spent a lot of time here, so you definitely know something about tour operations and reservations!

You could always brush up those cooking skills and try for one of the catering positions.

Cheers,
Julian

jasher Feb 23rd, 2006 01:18 PM

Hello Divewop,

Why not? Go for it! We can set up a Fodors network throughout Africa, and Rocco and I can jump from camp to camp visiting everyone.

Cheers,
Julian

luangwablondes Feb 23rd, 2006 01:20 PM

Not to worry. I worked in a Zambian bush camp for a season few years ago. Got the job 1st. Entered the country on a tourist visa and received the work permit a couple months later.

If you think you want a job like that, go for it. You get paid a little for the privilege of working there. Remember, the hours most likely will not be that good.

divewop Feb 23rd, 2006 01:26 PM

Julian-
At least you and Rocco could have first hand knowledge as to what's happening in the Zambian bush on any given day and season to season.

Your new slogan could be "the tour operators with the inside track!"
:D :D

jasher Feb 23rd, 2006 02:24 PM

Hello Divewop,

Now that's an idea! :S-

Personally, I think the reservations and marketing job sounds pretty good...office hours and then relaxing in the bush. From what I can tell from our communications with Zambia, the people in the camps there are working normal work hours.

Cheers,
Julian

Nyamera Feb 23rd, 2006 02:32 PM

Julian, spending a lot of time here is my best qualification, but I have to start getting some sleep at least once a week to be more successful in my hunting and gathering.

Luangwablondes, had your camp work experience been in Kenya I’d say you should be thankful to some corrupt work permit official.

Divewop, let’s share the job! You do the office work and I do the relaxing in the bush. ;)

jasher Feb 23rd, 2006 02:36 PM

Hello,

If a bookstore near you carries the 'Licence to Guide' book by Suzy Cazenove, it includes biographies of Robin and Jo Pope which might be of interest to any potential applicants.

Cheers,
Julian

jasher Feb 23rd, 2006 03:00 PM

Hello,

I take back the bit about the hours...I just received an email from Chiawa. It's about midnight in England, so around 2am in Zambia.

On the other hand, the person sending the email is one of the owners, and everyone knows that the owners work the longest hours.

Cheers,
Julian

divewop Feb 23rd, 2006 03:08 PM

Nyamera-
With your plan sounds like you've got a great work ethic! You should have no problem getting a job! We'll just call you the camp lounge lizard ;-)

Your sponsor will be so proud of you. :-D

I, on the other hand, can't stand to be just a worker bee, so I'll go with the intention of owning the camp someday even if it means being up all hours of the day and night. 8-)

Leely Feb 23rd, 2006 03:20 PM

Nyamera,

You're obviously an intelligent, savvy and intrepid young woman. Can you do the job? Puhleaze, of course you can. Do you want to? That's another question.

You could also look at it as a potential opportunity to open a door for a local person--someone you befriend and train a little?-- to take the job after you leave.

divewop...hmm, you just might take over the world! :)

matnikstym Feb 23rd, 2006 04:23 PM

what's a CV?

Leely Feb 23rd, 2006 04:32 PM

Dennis,
CV=resume (sorry, don't know how to do accents on Frodor's).

Curriculum vitae.

p.s. I only know this because I used to toil in academia.

p.p.s. Are you ready for your trip yet, sundowners with wild dogs and all that?