Want to enhance my Israel Itinerary?

Nov 25th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Want to enhance my Israel Itinerary?

Thanks to the input of fodorites my husband and I have set our itinerary for our first trip to Israel in July. We'd appreciate "insider" tips on places to see or stop at during our stay that may not be known to the first time tourist. Also, restaurants (vegetarian, middle east, italian, greek), cafes, and nice evening spots (live music, dancing, or just good local gathering of folks).

1.We will begin in Jerusalem for 7 nights (Dan Panorama). Will do a day trip to Masada and see all the sights in Jerusalem...We are interested in experience all of the cultures of Jerusalem - any favorite spots? We also like local music and night spots. We are not shomer shabbat but like to celebrate shabbat- We want to go to the Kotel on Shabbat but wonder if anyone knows non-orthodox options for worship in Jerusalem?

2.Then to Tel Aviv for 4 nights at the Metropolitan Hotel. (Anyone know if it is possible to do a bus tour to Tel Aviv from Jerusalem and then stay in Tel Aviv?)- Any favorite restaurant recommendations... vegetarian - trendy, unique, and romantic would be good, too. Again, anyone know of any non-orthodox congregations in Tel Aviv- reconstruction or renewal?

3.Drive from Tel Aviv to Haifa with a stop in Caserea. Spend two night in Haifa-second day tour Haifa -Dan Gardens.

4. Drive to Akko, Rosh Hanikra (maybe), then off to Safed for two nights- Ruth Rinomin. Tour Safed the second day.

5. Travel to Galilee- via Korazimn, Caperneum, Nof Ginosar to Tiberias (Scots Hotel)for 2 nights.

6. Then back to Tel Aviv for our last night-Can anyone recommend an interesting drive back from Tiberias to Tel Aviv.

Dec 1st, 2005, 01:34 PM

Hi there risab, sounds like a great itinery. I am traveling solo in May 2006 through Israel, coming across the border from Amman to Jerusulum. It looks like our routes are very similar.
I will be following this thread over the next few weeks to see what great information can be passed on to us.
How are you travelling? hiring a car for the whole trip? Are you going to pre- organise tours of the places you want to see or organise it when you get there.
I am travelling as cheap as possible, so its buses and trains for me.
Does anyone out there now how I can travell from Safed back to Tel-Aviv with minimum of time. Is there a Bus? How long would it normally take?
THANKS DAVE
Dec 1st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

davelindy: You may also want to look at frommers website in their Israel forum. I got a lot more responses to this question on that site. But, I love Fodors and have used this site to plan other trips so I am hoping more responses come.
Dec 1st, 2005, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

davidlindy: Also, in response to some of your questions:
We will taxi or sherut to Jerusalem since we do not want to deal with a car there. We'll also do organzed tours in Jerusalem (like a hop on/off bus to acquaint ourselves with the city, and walking tours)-probably the same for Tel Aviv, too. Then we will do a bus tour to Masada and Ein Gedi for a day. We'll probably cab it or take a tour bus to Tel Aviv for our stay there. Then we are going to rent a car for our last week when we tour the northern area. We'll probably do a tour guide of Safed, but go on our own around the Galilee.
Dec 1st, 2005, 09:53 PM

Hi risab, thanks for the tips , I will check out the frommers site you suggested right now.
Take Care DAVE

Search this Thread