Tanzania in July with a girl of 11y

Old Nov 29th, 2005, 08:52 PM
africa_lover

Tanzania in July with a girl of 11y

All you experts. Where would you send a couple with an 11-y old girl that wants to go on a safari trip in July 2006.
This would be first time Africa , and they like the warmer weather , so South AFrica is out of the question.
They would like to do an approx 8-day safari and 5 days sun,sand,sea.
I was thinking Tanzania and Zanzibar.
But do they have to go and book all those big lodges (as Serena) to be able to get a room for 3?
I would love to advise them any of those tented camps, but I know that with a kid, this will not be possible.
So what would be their best option????

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM
sandi

There are many of the tented camps that can accommodate a child.

Since camps are small, these book first, so their choices may only be lodges. However, the lodges are at max 75 rooms, so not all that big.

However, if they are considering travel for July 2006, I would strongly recommend they move quickly, as both Kenya and Tanzania are experiencing banner years - space is booking quickly, if much is still available.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 05:28 AM
bat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Africa Lover:

Here are a couple of threads to get them started. The first has suggestions for books on Africa for pre-teens. The second is jazzdrew's trip report--traveled in June with his 11 year old son. Included in their TZ itinerary were 4 nights at Kirawira.

books
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...hText=jazzdrew

jazzdrew--11 year old
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34647066
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 07:22 AM
africa_lover

thanks , both of you
If Kirawira offers triple tents, that would be ideal for them.
I stayed at Kirawira last year July, and found it to be perfect for the month of July.
Not at all crowded ,neither the tents or the area. On several spots we were all by ourselves (hyaena and vultures on a kill, lions with very young cubs on a kill).

Would you prefer Kenya to Tanzania in July ??
Crowds? Animals?..

I was in Kenya myself in 1985 and found it to be perfect, but when we went back in 1990 it already had the feeling of becoming too touristic.
Tanzania in 1990 was perfect and after last year's visit I still think of it as a very good place to visit, if only you pick out the good camps or lodges .

To me, being used to stay in the smaller camps in southern Africa, I didn't like Serengeti Serena too much, or Ngorongoro Serena, but hey , when you're on a budget ...
Ngorongoro Serena has a very nice position though.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:38 AM

africa lover,

Have you looked at Eben's wonderful, wonderful web site go-safari.com? He lists current rates for camps when available. OPccasionally there are photos of tents, and I've seen a few that are quite clearly triples.

Regarding crowds and touristy feel: will this be their first safari? If so, and they haven't been "spoiled" by secluded/exclusive camps (lucky you!), I think Tanzania would be great, especially for a family.

I don't know that it's really all that much of a bargain, though.

Good luck! Send them to Tanzania--why not? It's so beautiful.

Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
bat

africa lover
I just noticed that eben's pictures of the Sayari seasonal camp in the serengeti include a picture with 3 twin beds in a tent.