Walking Safari Preparation.

Mar 16th, 2005, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Walking Safari Preparation.

So...I probably should have asked these questions before I purchased my safari. But I guess it's better to have as much information as possible before we go.

After reading the thread about "do the animals attack," I started to get a little bit nervous about saftey on the trip --especially since the general consensus was that most animals are wary of the vehicle/4x4. In our case, we will not be in any type of vehicle. My first question is directed to those of you who have been on a walking safari before: Were you happy with the level of safety and education you received before you set out on foot? My second question is more broad. What kind of preparation do you need to do before you go? Clothing? Shoe/boot recommendations? Things you wish you would have had on the trip?

Just FYI, we are going with CCAfrica and Phinda in late May.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mar 16th, 2005, 05:06 AM

I have engaged in walking safaris in South Luangwa, Zambia, and there was never a time that I felt I was in danger. CCAfrica is a very esteemed company and should put you in the hands of a very qualified guide. Providing you listen to your guide, you will be just fine.

Regarding shoes, personally, I prefer trail running shoes to hiking boots. You will likely be on your feet for a minimum of 7 hours per day, so you better be sure you have comfortable shoes. For my last trip, I wore the same trail running shoes that carried my 240 pounds through a 20 mile mountain/river trail race just a couple months earlier. Asics Trail Running Shoes, although I don't recall the exact model.

As far as being in shape...just be able to walk 7+ miles at a slow pace and you will be fine. You will never be going at more than about a 20 minute per mile pace, so your longest walks, at 3.5 hours possibly, will probably be for a total of 9 miles, but it will not seem that far due to the slow pace. You will stop in the middle for probably a 15-20 minute break for soft drinks/tea/water & a light snack.

You are going to have a great time!
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:54 AM

I was very satisfied with the level of safety education on walking safaris in Zambia, Zimbabwe, and Botswana. I'm sure you will be too. No guide wants to lose a guest or even have a guest receive an unpleasant experience.

As far as animals being wary of the vehicle, I have found the opposite. They are quite relaxed with the vehicles, but more wary of people on foot.

Unlike Rocco, I prefer boots for just a little more protection. But the big thing is wear something comfortable. For walking safaris I always bring a spare set of footware and extra laces. I found dressing in layers, with the short-sleeved layer on the bottom, to work best.

I liked having water within easy reach so that it was not necessary to stop to have a swig. I used a waist belt with a bottle holder but there are other methods.

You'll have wonderful time!

Search this Thread