Search

For Roccco

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Roccco

Roccco,

I have been sending you mails to your hotmail address on a daily basis with regard to the penthouse apartments in Camps Bay that you asked me about. You seemingly have not received any of these mails as I have not heard from you in response.

Could you please email me with hopefully another email addresss that I can respond to you as it does not seem as if I can make contact on your hotmail address?

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:23 PM

Selwyn,

That is very odd...I have not received them and I just e-mailed you back about the same thing yesterday.

You are sending them to [email protected], is that correct?

I will go through all of my e-mails...I suppose it is possible it is hiding somewhere in there.

Thanks for alerting me of this as I do want to wrap up my itinerary 100%. I cannot believe that I depart in under 4 months to my absolute favorite destinations on Earth...South Luangwa, Lower Zambezi, Cape Town and the Sabi Sand!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Roccco,

The mails have been going to your correct hotmail address. I have even tried sending them from a different server, yet to no avail. I am sending the mail to you once again this morning (Monday May 2).

Here is a copy of what I have been trying to tell you for the past 10 days.

<font color="blue">
Roccco,

Firstly I know most of the Bloomberg venues well. Let me just mention that the main reason for the Bloomberg's going into these apartments as a business venture was to accommodate what was at the time a very flourishing film production trade in Cape Town. Since the strengthening of the Rand I believe the Bloomberg establishments have been hit pretty hard due to the Cape Town film industry diminishing radically . Anyway the main object of the apartments was to accommodate film crews, who I must tell you are renowned in Cape Town for a being a nightmare to handle when it comes to accommodation, eating out, tours etc. What I am trying to sketch is a group of people who live for today and probably never sleep. Noise is no problem to them as they make a noise and dont hear it!

Now with the above said your summary of the penthouses as I know them are spot on. Whatever you say I agree with wholeheartedly however in my own personal opinion I would not be able to look past the noise factor from the road because believe me it is a HUGE HUGE factor. Anywhere on Victoria Road will have this problem. In the case of the penthouses you are much closer to the road than you are at The 12 Apostles purely because The 12 Apostles is pretty high off the road. At the penthouses the road is virtually in your face.

Make no error the apartments are exquisite to say the very least, however personally I would never stay there only because I have a huge, huge aversion to noise. You, STD and your family might have different views in this regard. Remember film crews come home late at night and party all the time. They dont hear the noise hence it presents them with no problem. Thus the venues suit them. May I also add that your problem will be made a lot worse in the penthouses if the second penthouse is hired out to a film crew although my belief is that in September the chances of this happening is most unlikely. In a nutshell if your keep your windows and doors closed the penthouses will be sort of ok as the noises emanating from Victoria Road will be minimal however as soon as you open the first window it is my opinion that the passing car trade will be horrid. As I see it the penthouses with closed doors and windows would represent a great pity as you will feel couped in at all times. With the above said the decision becomes yours to make taking all of the above into account.

Thats my take on the penthouses. I will do whatever I can to obtain a further discount from the organisation if you want me to do this on your behalf, that is if you want your family to stay there.

</font>

Rocco I did not really want to publish my response on Fodors as most on the board do not know what we are talking about so I feel it would not be wrong for Fodors editorship to remove this thread. It is just that I have been frustrated like mad by you not receiving my mails and have had no other option but to publish this letter. As our linkage started up on this chatboard I have made use of the board to send you this informnation asap in that as you say you are now only 4 months away from arriving in Cape Town and your plans have to be finalised.

The clue to all of the above is obtain another hotmail address with another hotmail board like fastmail.fm (the best in my opinion) and send me the relevant address to use in the future.

Hope all of the above helps.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:49 AM

Thanks Selwyn...back to the drawing board. Do me a favor and forward your e-mails to Alexsandra's yahoo account at

[email protected]

Thanks.

I am leaning back towards the Marina V&amp;A Waterfront.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:44 PM

Thanks...got your new e-mail.

I have e-mailed you with some more ideas for luxury self-catering lodging, and although I forgot to ask in my e-mail, do you know of any places with heated swimming pools that are for exclusive use of the self-catering apartment or villa?

Not overly impressed with most of the apartments, I am even willing to consider a mid-sized villa, although nothing that sleeps 8+ guests.

Thanks again.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:27 PM

Although I realize there would be other guests there, Atlantic House in Camps Bay also looks very nice, and features a heated swimming pool:

http://www.capestay.co.za/atlantichouse/

Also, the Atlantic Suites appears very interesting, although I am unclear whether or not I would be getting the whole villa if I were to rent both suites:

http://www.capestay.co.za/atlantichouse/

At 1,500 Rand per suite per night, that would put it on the high side, but I may just want to splurge if it were 1,500 x 2 for the whole villa per night.

And one final place that looks great:

http://www.capestay.co.za/atlanticview%2Dcapetown/

Selwyn, forgot about the more modest Waterfront accomodations I suggested in my e-mail (there were two of them). I either need a penthouse or a villa or one of the very nice places in this post.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:28 PM

forgot = forget
Old May 3rd, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Roccco

Do you realise that all these places that you are suggesting in Camps Bay because of their location will require you to either have a car at your disposal or for that matter use taxis which should be easy to use anyway?

I agree about the Waterfront accommodations a most rooms are rather small due to cost of Waterfront space.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 05:45 AM

Well, I can live with taxis. The noise arising from the street is definitely an issue.

Got your e-mail...since I won't exactly be there at the peak of high season, I think I will take my chances and wait until later this month when you will hopefully have time to go look at some of these places. I definitely want to choose the right place on all legs of my trip and Cape Town may very likely be the only non-safari part of the tour, so I do want to get it right.

Thanks for all of your assistance!