Search

Petra Visit

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petra Visit

I will shortly be visiting Petra but unfortunately I have just got a back problem and walking isn't easy. I read somewhere that there are horse-buggeys that could take you through the first bit. Does anyone know if this is still the case? Also, can anyone tell me a bit more about "Petra by Candelight"? Is is still going and is it worth doing?
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 08:59 AM

They did indeed have horse buggies to take you from the entrance down to and through the siq when I was there though you'll need to ask the driver to go slowly if you want it to be very smooth.

Within the site itself you can get camels (not smooth) but I can't recall whether you can get around by horse buggy. I think not.

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:00 AM
sandi

If you have back problems, a camel is the last animals to get onto, up and move about on. Take a bit of getting used to for those without back problems.

As Kavey mentions, there are buggy carts for those who cannot walk the distance thru the Siq; we also saw these carts taking occupants a bit farther into the site behind the Treasure, around the amphitheatre - exactly how much past, though I cannot say. So, you'll have to inquire about the specifics through your tour operator or when you arrive at the entrance.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM

w/r/t your question regarding Petra by night, it is still an option but you would have to walk the siq (you only go as far as the Treasury). I enjoyed it - i wouldn't say it was the highlight of my trip or anything, but it was a nice way to spend the evening. It's just an interesting way to see Petra, but you certainly aren't missing anything if you just see Petra during the day.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your information.