Vuyatela vs Bush Lodge

Jul 17th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Vuyatela vs Bush Lodge

Can anyone help me decide between these 2 camps for a Nov trip? Basically is paying the extra $s for Vuyatela worth it? Thanks for your help!
Jul 17th, 2003, 09:13 PM

If you are paying high season prices at Vuyatela of about $850-900 USD per night ($425-450 per person sharing), then I would have to say that it may not be worth it. However, I would say the same out of all Sabi Sand/Kruger game reserves when there are better places to go in Zambia, Zimbabwe and Botswana for around the same price or for much less.

To me, that would only make Djuma Bush Lodge even less worth it, because, although I do not know the rate off hand, my guess would be that in high season Bush Lodge is $650+ per night per room.

While I loved the room, the camp, the staff and the pictures I was able to take at Vuyatela (go to http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=4604239...05&n=456003369 for a look at my pics), in all honesty it had a very manufactured feel to it, while my time at Matetsi Water Lodge in Zimbabwe last year and my time at Kafunta in South Luangwa this year had a much more natural feel to it all.

Then again, you may want to discount what I am saying, as I am a bit of a safari snob now that I have been to a few different places. Honestly, all the other guests at Vuyatela thought it was the greatest. What they don't know, won't hurt them.

However, if you want a true safari and don't mind venturing into Zambia, Zimbabwe or Botswana, then you would have a completely different experience. But, maybe it is not the experience you are looking for and you just want something quick and easy from Joburg or Cape Town. Different horses for different courses.

I will say that the accomodations at the Bush Lodge do not even come close to Vuyatela. That is one strong thing that Vuyatela had in its favor and it is immaculately clean and the entire staff is great, even if the owners seem a little snobbish and uninterested in the guests. You will surely see the game that you desire at Djuma whether it is at Bush Camp or Vuyatela but you may (or may not) be disappointed that many of the animals almost seem tame. The tameness does undoubtedly make for good pictures.

Whatever you choose, best of luck and I hope my comments are interpreted constructively rather than critically.
Jul 18th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Rocco,

Thanks for the information, I do find it very constructive as I do most of the responses to this site. We are also going to Botswana (Little Vumbura)for a change in scenery and experience but were undecided between the Kruger camps. BTW, your pictures were great, getting me excited for our trip and to see the other amazing trips you seem to have taken. Thanks again!

Search this Thread