Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Vumbura Plains (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/vumbura-plains-557804/)

srocca Sep 11th, 2005 05:15 PM

Vumbura Plains

We are set to go the end of October. Has anyone stayed there yet? How is the game viewing? Am I going to regret not going to Mombo?

napamatt Sep 12th, 2005 12:07 PM

Looks like you are the guinea pig. Plesae let us know all about it, I am going there next year. Hopefully you will see Sable, that is one of the specialties of Vumbura - I think.

jasher Sep 12th, 2005 03:02 PM

Hello,

I visited Vumbura Plains when I was at Little Vumbura in June 2005. The game viewing in the Vumbura Concession, where both camps are located, was excellent in June -- lots of leopard, including a young cub playing in a tree.

Unlike Mombo, the Vumbura camps offer both water and land activities -- this was one of the things I enjoyed most about my stay there.

Vumbura Plains is one of the new-style camps that I think of as 'safari moderne' (another is Singita Lebombo). Personally, I prefer a more classical safari look (if I want modern design in a lodging I go to Italy) which is why I chose Little Vumbura for my return trip next year, but it was certainly striking from a design standpoint, and very posh.

Cheers,
Julian

bwanamitch Sep 12th, 2005 03:25 PM

I just read a line in Chris McIntyre's Botswana guide that made me lough.

He's writing about 'an endangered species in the Okavango Delta' - the classic safari camp.

Mitch

jasher Sep 12th, 2005 03:27 PM

Hi Mitch,

Hopefully VP is not the start of a trend -- when I went there, the fake sausages (as in sausage tree fruit) dangling in the main lounge which made out of little twinking fairy lights were really OTT.

Cheers,
Julian

bwanamitch Sep 12th, 2005 03:27 PM

PS: Hopefully they don't upgrade LV.

jasher Sep 12th, 2005 03:31 PM

If someone puts little sausage tree lamps in my tent, they're going out on the porch as toys for the baboons!

Cheers,
Julian

bwanamitch Sep 12th, 2005 03:47 PM

OFF TOPIC

Julian,

I hope Rooco has made some close-up shots of those 'nice' bedside lamps at Puku Ridge (those sitting monkeys).

Btw, if you are still considering to go to Kwara one day: I experienced some kind of 'Ikea shock' when first entering my tent. Very fresh colours...

Mitch

jasher Sep 13th, 2005 05:39 AM

Ikea in the bush? The very thought makes me shudder...

Cheers,
Julian

cooncat Sep 13th, 2005 06:32 AM

OK - You guys are starting to scare me a little. ;-)

bwanamitch Sep 13th, 2005 06:39 AM

Why? We are very peaceful safari travellers...

cooncat Sep 13th, 2005 06:46 AM

I'm having trouble coming up with anything remotely clever at the moment! I just saw some ellies on the Botswana web cam! (I am sorry this is so off topic and probably inappropriate. I'll try to behave...)

bwanamitch Sep 13th, 2005 07:27 AM

OFF TOPIC

Recently I saw a promotion video of Mashatu Game Reserve (that's where this webcam is located) - featuring game drives on bicycles! One guide with a rifle on a mountain bike, followed by some clients in fresh colours on mountain bikes, and a second guide with a rifle on a mountain bike as back defender. Looks real crazy. After the drive you park your bike next to your Meru tent.

Sometimes I think I'm getting too old for this modern safari stuff...

Mitch

matnikstym Sep 13th, 2005 08:24 AM

What's next? Roller skating safaris?
:)

cooncat Sep 13th, 2005 09:08 AM

I saw a photo of this type of bicycling safari in the Wilderness Safari catalog. Not for me...

Roller skating..hee hee. Now that would be odd.

mzcuriouz Oct 6th, 2005 04:03 PM

Hi guys ;D
Starting trip report this weekend while Furio is at work.

To get to the point...we stayed our last 3 camp days at LV and then were "comped" at VP for a night. "Upscale Ikea" about hits the nail on the head.

But the leather area rug was peeling, the ceiling to floor transparent curtains covering the storage wall were not hung properly, the sliding glass door to the outside shower would not open when the manager was demonstrating it(and no one was sent to make it right), the plastic wood covering the screws in all the unfinished pine walls, etc. was sometime left unsanded. And last, but unavoidable to miss, there were chips in the dark brown sink. OH MY !!!

But the big white puffy bed felt lovely. And if were all fixed up and on a coast with a mediterranean climate...wow!

VP is like wearing off the rack Vera Wang on safari, it just lacks any sense of place. Now that's just my opinion, but I know and you know IT'S VERY TRUE ;D
Marilyn

Brit Oct 7th, 2005 01:58 PM

We spent 2 nights at VP 2 weeks ago. mzcuriouz's line that it lacks a sense of place is how we felt, too. Our room didn't have the flaws mentioned, and we thought it was lovely. The bed was the best of the camps in which we stayed. However, the modern architecture seemed out of place. We could have been in the Caribbean or Bali. We much preferred the look of Duma Tau and Mombo. We were also disappointed in the amount of game we saw. Much more plentiful at the other camps.

Dlemma Oct 10th, 2005 03:34 PM

I was at Vumbura Plains during the 3rd week of September. My husband and I had a very good experience there. The design/decor is very contemporary and open, true. I should note that I tend to prefer that sort of style.

Our room was totally comfortable and we especially liked the deck/sala as ours had a wonderful shade tree over it. We found the staff to be helpful, friendly, eager to please.

The landscapes and scenery were fantastic - the mix of the water and dry land made for wonderful vistas. When you are there, do be sure and take the mokoro ride and also the sunset boat ride. Do both - they are different experiences and will give you a fresh perspective on the area.

We were happy with the game viewing - not the massive numbers we saw at Kings Pool, but I felt it was plentiful. We saw lions every day, also zebra, buffalo, sable antelope, tsessebe, impala(of course!),red lechwe, leopard, wild dogs(!) and more birds than I can mention here. Even if you aren't into birding, you will be here.

I can't compare V.P. to Mombo (never been to Mombo) but I was happy with my visit.

Carol_Hill Oct 11th, 2005 07:23 AM

We stayed at Little Vumbura, NOT VP, in May, 2005 and went straight from there to Mombo. Absolutely NO comparison, the amount of game at Mombo was 10 times what it was at LV. Sorry.
Carol

bushbaby2 Nov 17th, 2005 06:39 AM

I have just returned from VP (this morning) and found it to be the most incredible experience ever - yes it is 'designy' but personally I find the old leather look with archive maps and African masks and relics to be too in your face (I suppose living in South Africa, one becomes allergic to it). The game viewing was superb - two leopard kills, plenty of Zebra and excellent bird sightings too, the food was excellent and I thought the rooms were heavenly - especially the outside lounging areas. VP gets my Highly Reccomended stamp - I don't see why the old-school safari lodge look has to be the only way forward - bring on more designtastic bush lodges!!