Search

Where Is My Luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where Is My Luggage?

We bought rountrip tickets from JRO-connecting through NBO to KGL.Going home we want to catch our international flight out of Nairobi, not Kilimanjaro.It was cheaper to do it this way. What will happen to our luggage?
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 06:46 AM

This could potentially be a problem. Can you carry on your luggage? If not, you can try asking at check-in in KGL if they will tag your luggage to NBO instead of JRO. However, I don't know if they'll do this as you're ticketed through to JRO. If they agree to tag your bags to NBO, I would visually verify that your luggage tags have NBO as your final destination before you let them out of your sight. Good luck!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Patty, thank you for the reply. I am seriouly freaking myself out because we have already bought our international tickets home out of Nairobi. Have you ever done this, and will bribery work? This was my idea to save money and if it won't work were screwed (I'm traveling with 3 other people).We are flying Kenya Air and I was planing on checking in a 30" duffle.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:35 PM

You could just build in a layover after your KGL-NBO portion. So, your ticket would be KGL-NBO with a layover, followed by a NBO-JRO continuation at a later date. Only, you never bother doing the NBO-JRO portion. This way, you collect your baggage during your "layover" and can get on the international flight NBO-Wherever.

If you haven't purchased your JRO-KGL tickets yet, just build in a layover. If you have, see if you can change the departure date of the NBO-JRO portion to a later date (doesn't matter when since you don't intend to use it.) You may or may not incur a charge for the date change/layover.

Bear in mind that this sort of thing is against the rules for your ticket, and the airlines look poorly upon it.

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:49 PM

I've never requested that an airline tag my luggage to an intermediate point rather than my final destination, so I honestly don't know whether this works. Perhaps you could just say that you prefer to claim/re-check all bags yourself at NBO. Or you could be honest and tell them that you're not taking the final NBO-JRO segment but it's possible that they'll re-issue/re-price your ticket at that point.

I don't know what Kenya Airways' policy is in this instance. When you purchase a ticket with the intention of not using the last segment or return portion in order to save money, it's called hidden city or throwaway ticketing and it's technically prohibited by most airlines though in the vast majority of cases, they don't find out and no harm's done.

Try posting this question on the airlines forum. Hopefully someone else will have experience with this.
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:21 PM

I just did a search on the flyertalk.com forum and found that passengers reported conflicting experiences as to whether an airline would short check their luggage to an intermediate point. Here are a few of the threads that I found (none specifically involved Kenya Airways though) by doing a search for the words "hidden city luggage" (you may have to register to use the search function) -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=18562

The consensus seems to be that this is most easily accomplished by having an overnight connection at the intermediate point where you intend to end your journey. Good luck!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

I'll try lifelist suggestion to add a lay over in NBO. I would rather add charges now, then have my luggage end up in JRO. What is the weight limit for luggage on Kenya Air, and the carry on limit. If you know where to find this info please let me know.

Patty, thanks "You're-the-boom".
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:43 PM

Kenya Airways has the same luggage restrictions as KLM - 10 kilos carry-on, 20 kilos checked baggage total. How strict they are is a different matter.

Hmmm, I've heard peopled called, "the bomb", but never "the boom". I take the "boom" is what you get after the "bomb" has gone off?
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Lifelist I meant the bomb. I feel like my whole Africa trip is about to explode. Fruedian slip
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 02:12 PM

loveintravelin,
This pertains to your outbound only since you're skipping your last segment, but your JRO-NBO flight will be operated by Precision Air (Kenya Airways codeshares on this flight). Luggage allowance is based on the operating carrier's rules not the ticketing carrier.

Precision's luggage allowance is 20 kg per passenger. I don't know if this includes carry on luggage or not as they don't specify on their website (I need to find out myself). No one here has mentioned having their carry on luggage weighed by Precision though.

Just thought I'd point out there might be a difference between the two carriers. Hope you get everything sorted out. Let us know what happens.