Search

Volunteer Work In Africa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volunteer Work In Africa

A couple of years ago I worked on a reserve in South Africa for a month as a volunteer...We helped with conservation, wild life count and protection etc....and it was a super experience....
I would like to go back to Africa to work again and have found the' walk with lions' project which looks interesting...and also a chimpanzee refuge centre..
Trouble is...I have found comments regarding the lions that they are only there so tourists...(IE Volunteers???) can cuddle cubs..and when the animals get older they are used as targets in hunting safaris....
Obviously this isn't something I want to be involved in but I wonder if anyone has evidence that this is the case or its just a case of scare mungering to keep people away from these refuge centres for some reason??
I don't know...
I would really like to go again to Africa but would like to do something useful whilst there...preferably with animals....
Anyone have any ideas????

Thanks in advance.....
Old Jun 15th, 2013, 07:04 AM

The "walk with lions" is just as you say. I wouldn't get involved in that. There are valid wildlife projects that you could get involved with, but most require compensation to cover your costs. Check out http://wildlifeconservationnetwork.org/ for opportunities.
Old Jun 16th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you..
Yes I realise i would have to pay for the priviledge but thats ok..
Will check it out......
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 07:40 PM

Good idea Suethegipsy

You can volunteer with lions in Africa as well adventure and explore the country. There are many volunteering organization provide this opportunity. you may contact to http://www.volunteeringsolution.com to book this opportunity.
Old Dec 13th, 2013, 03:59 AM

>you may contact to http://www.zzzzzzzzz.com to book this opportunity.

Fake site. Not for real. Just another of those search engine "holding" pages for when a real site is not renewed and they hope to be able to make money reselling it.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 07:31 AM

Hello,
I've been at Leo Africa volunteer project near Hoedspruit and Phalaborwa. It is located in a private game reserve that means there aren't tourists but only the cars of the guides with volunteers. It's a programme based on monitoring animals, like Lions, Elephants, Rhinos (black and white), Leopards, Cheetahs every day. There are so many activities to do, like game drives, quad drive, walks in the bush, sleep out. It's a really nice experience and I would suggest everyone is interested in a volunteer project to go there. They speak lots of languages and you are always with lots of funny people!

The name is Leo Africa, have a look on their website!

Don't hesitate to contact me for information, I wrote also a blog here telling my experience!

have a nice day,
Giulia