Search

Visit to Cape Town Nov 2007

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit to Cape Town Nov 2007

Hi, Me and my family plan to visit CT for 10 days in NOvemeber. WE arrive in CT and are planning to take the Greyhound to Port Elizabeth. Rent a car at PE and drive through the garden route staying over at various place over a period of 1 week. Last stop CT to spend 3 nights before flying back. Need suggesstions for places to stay and see on the garden route. Also was wondering whether it would be better to use public transport in Cape town or have the car (as ive read parking is a big problem).
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, BUKU,

if you click on my name you should find my trip report from our recent holiday in SA, including 4 nights/days in CPT, then what we did along the garden route.

hiring a car is easy and cheap. having a car in CPT is useful for getting around some of the sights there like the winelands and the cape of good hope, and there should be parking at your hotel.

I would seriously consider allowing more than 3 days in CPT - 5 would be better.

Why not fly to PE? - internal flights are cheap. or drive east along the goarden route, return your car to PE airport, then fly back to CPT?

regards, ann
Old Sep 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ann,

Thanks read your detailed report and its given me a lot of ideas. We arrive somewhere late afternoon to CT trying to tighten the budget wherever possible. Thus thot it best to take the night coach to PE. Reach mrg and head directly to Schotia ...Spend the night there and then rent a car to drive.. More or less thinking of Tsitsikama, knsyna (2 nights), Outshoodrm (1), Hermanus (1) drive through WInelands and then CT 3-4 nights.. Have a 7 year old son so didnt think of spending time at the winelands as he would be bored....

Ur input on the map and the parking at table moutain is really very useful..

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 01:13 AM

hi, Buku,

that looks like a great plan.

I'm about to post about Schotia - though you should look at the top bit of the thread for some ideas about it.

the main thing is that you arrive with whatever you will need for the safari bit ready to hand ie - raincoats, gloves, hats, cameras, etc. etc. as you won't be able to get at it very easily if at all until you get to your accommodation which won't be til late.

that said, it was one of the most memorable parts of our trip. do try to book one of the roundels - the one our kids stayed in had bunk beds as well as a double, so would be ideal for your family.

regards, ann
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. DO you think if we arrive around 7 am we can go directly to Ado and then Schotia that afternoon. Or Would we need to go to Ado the next morning as may be required to go earlier there?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM

hi, BUKU,

the Schotia info, that we only got when we got there! says that arrival is from 14.45 for the 15.00 safari. we got there about 3pm and were hanging around for a good [or bad?] 30 minutes, but that may just have been because of the weather, as it was raining heavily, hence my comment about having your gear easily to hand - we didn't and lived to regret it. you certainly don't need to be there before 2.30.

we went for the Addo tour after we finished at Schotia, as it was included as part of our Schotia trip. That made us late, had we but known it, for the next place we were going to which was Shamwari.

If you have from 7am free, I'd say go to Addo that morning, have lunch there [we didn't but cafe & all facilties look nice] then mosey back to schotia. otherwise there is little to do in that area.

It's about 30 minutes from Addo entrance back to the Schotia reception and secure car park which you will see right on the corner where you turn left off the N10 for Addo.

hope this helps - don't hesitate to come back to me if you have any more queries.

regards, ann
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks annhig.
The Schotia guys wrote back to me saying that the morn we arrive we got to Ado stragith then noon to Schotia and then next morning again early visit to Ado. Anf finish up by 10.30-11.00. So that would mean two visits there. Maybe the son would love that. But dont know whether should take the second visit or just skip and head for the next stop which will be Tsitsikama.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 05:31 AM

As Ann mentioned, a better idea is to fly from CT to PE. For example, kulula (www.kulula.com)shows a one way fare of only 288 rand ($40)for a one way flight on Nov. 6.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Hi yes but we arrive 8/11 in the noon and the flight by kukul is in the morning. Also can someone tell me the distacne between Addo and Schotia? I was wondering if we should do the whole day trip of Addo and Schotia and then stay elsewehre as Schotia guys quote per person adn we are 6 of us so the difference in the whole day trip with and without acco is about 3000 R.
Old Sep 15th, 2007, 12:41 PM

hi, Buku,

Addo main gate is about 30 minutes drive along rather poor roads from Schotia. Yuo can either see it as an extra with Schotia after the safari proper ends early to mid morning [ie after breakfast] or go there independently, which to fit in with your itinerary, you could do in the morning beofre you go to Schotia.

if you do it that way, you can stay at Schotia [a very lovely experience] and then see Addo independently and save money.

there were lots of people at addo in their own cars when we were there.

regards ,ann
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ann. I am inclined towards heading straight for Ado on our own and possibly taking a guided tour there (9.00-13.00. Then head to schotia for their tooth and claw safari which is till 21.00, and stay the night there with them. But i think they are almost full on the accomodation so do u know what is the other choice on accomodation around there. Or is it ok to drive back to port elizabeth after 9.00pm (safety wise) and stay in acco in PE?
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 01:54 AM

hi, BUKU,

I'd go for what you've suggested and book up the Schotia accommodation straight away. there is NOTHING else in the area [the nearest town, Patterson, is one of the most godforsaken places I've ever been] and part of the schotia experience is going to sleep and waking up in the bush, especially if you can book one of the roundels. you get a bit of a game drive on your way to your accommodation, and you get another drive in the morning. our kids really loved it there - we still talk about it as one of the highlights of our trip.

hope this helps,

regards, ann

we didn't spend much time in PE but what we saw wasn't very inspiring. I'm not sure I'd want to be driving around there in the dark!
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Any recommendation on the Ostrich farms we should visit? And does one need to book this in advance