Visas to Kenya, Tanzania, Egypt (photos needed)?

Dec 4th, 2002, 08:49 AM
SG

Visas to Kenya, Tanzania, Egypt (photos needed)?

Greetings. I have read that it's easy to get visas upon arrival at the airport in Kenya, Tanzania & Egypt. Our tour company said we need to have photos to obtain the visas. What was your experience and how many is needed if required? Are USD the only currency they accept? Thanks so much for the help.

Dec 4th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Patricia

We were there in April. I assume the same rules apply now. We were told $50 in crisp U.S. bills. We offered photos and they shook their heads and said "No, don't need them." We walked away from there within 2 or 3 minutes total for two of us, and went straight to luggage claim and out to the street. Easiest thing I ever did. If you aren't from the U.S. I don't know if they still want U.S. money from you. But they emphasized "crisp" bills, so we had them set aside especially for our visas.

Dec 4th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Patricia

Forgot to specify. That was Kenya. I know it's easy to get a visa in Egypt too. Don't know the specifics, as we got ours ahead of time for Egypt.

Dec 4th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Professional Traveler

Photos are required only when applying for the visas by mail in your homje country. Not needed when applying personally upon arrival in any of the 3 countries.

Dollars are the preferred currency but they will all accept major hard currencies such as pounds sterling and euros. "Crisp" bills are not necessary, but helpful. "Big head" US bills are all but required anywhere in the world outside the US nowadays.

Dec 30th, 2002, 09:49 AM
ttt

ttt

Dec 31st, 2002, 03:11 AM
gail

18 months ago got visas for Egypt upon arrival by plane in Cairo (as US citizens). Similar experience to person entering Kenya, but no stipulation that they be "crisp" bills - just US currency. No photos required. If you are in or near a major city in US you can get visas at embassy or consulate of country you are visiting. There are also ways to get by mail, but for Egypt it was so confusing and we were mailed forms in Arabic to complete. The other problem with getting visas by mail is that you must mail original passport. For 3 different countries this could be very time-consuming.

Dec 31st, 2002, 09:53 PM
charlene

don't need pictures for visas at the airport, only when getting them through an embassy...we just got back from Kenya and it seemed the whole plane got them at the airport - no problem, and didn't need "crisp" money, just money!

Jan 2nd, 2003, 09:12 AM
Patricia

When I said "crisp" bills, I was just repeating what was told to us when we inquired. I'm assuming they prefer new bills to older crumpled/dirty bills.

Jan 4th, 2003, 05:20 AM
gail

The crisp bill thing is funny, since I have never seen anything dirtier than the paper currency in Egypt.

Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:57 AM

For gtrekker2003
Nov 22nd, 2003, 07:47 AM

You don't need new, unused US$ bills when traveling in Africa, but I would avoid bringing torn, damaged bills, as they may be rejected by some moneychangers. Also, it is a good idea to have the newer style bills with the large portrait.

Search this Thread