Search

Anyone been to Bodrum?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Marcy

Anyone been to Bodrum?

I am planning a trip to Turkey this summer and have heard mixed reviews on Bodrum. If anyone has been there, I am interested in their reviews, good or bad. I am concerned about safety, ease of travel, and overall if its a worthwhile stop to make. <BR>Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Ursula

Marcy hi! I travelled quite a lot in Turkey, but never made it to Bodrum. It must be a very nice place and I've only heard good things about it. I am sure you will like it. However, it depends what you like to see. But I think there must be a fantastic mosque I'd love to see one day.

Old May 15th, 2001, 02:11 AM
Pam

Dear Marcy, <BR> <BR>We were in Bodrum in the spring of 98 and it was the least favorite town that we visited. We stayed at some run down dump that had been recommended in a couple of tour books. What I disliked the most however, was the incredible noise level. It was also a major disappointment that we arrived on one of the days that the underwater archaeology museum was closed. I understand that it is worth a visit. As an aside, our favorite hotel in Turkey is the Kismet, outside of Kusadasi (sp?). Quiet and a great restaurant as well.

Old May 15th, 2001, 05:05 AM
Ursula

Marcy hi again! I just discovered a web page about Turkey. Maybe you like to have a look at it: <BR> <BR>www.exploreturkey.com <BR> <BR>You can then choose the place you like to explore.

Old May 15th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Ariel

Marcy - My husbands family has a summer house in a town near Bodrum, so we go every summer. I would make 2 distinctions between the city/town of Bodrum and the area of Bodrum. The town itself is often dissapointing to a number of tourists who are looking for the history and culture of Turkey. It is filled with tourists (esp. in August) mainly from England. So if you are looking for a party town with great discos and a young, exciting nightlife, than this the place for you. On the other hand, if would prefer a quieter pace in a smaller town, but still want to experience the Southern coast of Turkey you have 2 choices: 1) head to a small town outside of Bodrum (I would suggest Yalikavak). They still have decent hotels and pensions, but not the crowds and hype of Bodrum. Plus they are very close to Bodrum so you can take the bus in for the day to Bodrum. 2) Head to Dalyan and/or Antalyia, which is considered by my hubby as more beautiful than Bodrum. I haven't been to Antalyia, but have been to Dalyan and really loved it. <BR> <BR>Bodrum is very safe, as is all of the Sout-western area & Istanbul. If you head to somewhere else on the coast then you probably won't be missing anything. <BR> <BR>One more piece of advice: DON'T GO IN AUGUST!!!!!! August is often very hot and is VERY VERY crowded. All of Europe goes on vacation in august and Trukey is considered one of the hot spots this year because the lira is in the toilet, so everything is dirt cheap. Sept is a very nice month, you can still swim, the weather is more bearable. I've been in August and won't do it again. Enjoy!!

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:28 AM
TOM O

I WOULD ECHO ARIEL'S THOUGHTS--BODRUM DIDN'T SEEM AS INTERESTING AS A NUMBER OF SMALLER TOWNS FARTHER ALONG THE COAST--I SPENT ALMOST A WEEK IN FETIYEH (SP?), WHICH WAS GREAT--I'VE HEARD ANTALYA IS ALSO VERY NICE--THERE ARE A NUMBER OF AMAZING RUINS ALONG THE COAST, IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN THAT SORT OF THING

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:49 AM
michele

Bodrum is a party town and Ariel's description is accurate. If that's what you are looking for, it's perfect. <BR> <BR>I loved Daylan and liked Antaylia , too. <BR> <BR>Michele <BR>PS August is VERY hot there.

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:39 PM
M&J

Bodrum's Museum of Underwater Archaeology at the Castle of St Peter is incredible. We spend hours with a self - guided tour. We have "write ups" for the first time visitor to Istanbul and another about the Aegean which includes info onthe Museum. If you want a copy--there is a price !!! Upon your return home, you have to share your <BR>trip with us !

Old May 18th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Erol

Ariel's advice and description is right on the money. Bodrum is over rated and I too prefer Antalya.