Visa Question - arriving in Tanzania via Kenya

May 27th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Liz

Visa Question - arriving in Tanzania via Kenya

We are spending three weeks in Tanzania, but are flying into Nairobi, and going directly by shuttle to Tanzania. Has anyone done this and/or know what type of Kenyan visa we need? Is it just a transit visa? We will be doing the same thing in the reverse direction to return to the airport in Nairobi to come home. I have tried calling the embassy, but they kept me on hold for so long...Thanks.

May 27th, 2002, 11:53 AM
David

Liz,

If you are transferring 'airside' so not having to collect your luggage you will not need a visa, If you have to colelct your luggage you will need a visa which you can buy easily at the airport, it is just a bit of a queue.

I am also sorry to say Nairobi airport is probably the worst airport you will ever fly through. Don't buy any food there.

You will love Tanzania it is fantastic

May 27th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Liz

Thanks for the info...especially the tip on how bad the airport is!

Do you know if it's possible to get a visa there even at 5:15 in the morning? (is it directly from the customs person who looks at your passport?)

May 28th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Patricia

Just returned last month from Kenya. As the previous person said, you won't need a visa if your luggage is checked through. Don't know about hours of operation, but we walked around the corner when we entered from the plane and there was the booth. No line at all. We paid our $50 (this was for a visit in Kenya) and handed over our passports and already-filled-out form and he stamped it, handed the passport back, and directed us on to Baggage Claim, from which we simply walked out of the airport--easy as pie. Didn't take 3 minutes for both of us. Don't know about if you have to pick up your luggage and go on to another country. Why wouldn't you just check your luggage through?

May 28th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Patricia

Sorry to be so dense. Obviously you're landing in Nairobi and taking GROUND shuttle to Tanzania. That does make a difference. It hit me as soon as I hit the SEND button. Don't know if you will need to pay $50 for that. But please have crisp U.S. dollars to pay it with. That's what they want. I would get 5 tens or 4 tens and a couple of 5's in case it's less than $50.

Search this Thread