Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   VISA Pictures for Africa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/visa-pictures-for-africa-973456/)

jaydh42 Apr 7th, 2013 02:28 PM

VISA Pictures for Africa

OK everybody. I have found the CHEAPEST place to go for Visa pictures. It is at COSTCO where the price is $4.99 for 4 pictures. Wow, that is amazing. I priced it at Walgreens where the price for two pictures was $10.99, can you believe?

Leslie_S Apr 8th, 2013 10:05 AM

That is a good deal!

Not to outdo your deal but we used a website that helps you size your own photo taken in front of a white wall. The result puts 4 photos (2 x 2") on one 4 x 6" print that you can then get printed at your local drugstore or wherever. So we got 4 visa pictures for 29 cents I think.

And they came out perfectly - not like the ones we've had taken at Walgreens in the past where the clerk held the camera 2 inches from our faces and they distorted the pictures so they were barely recognizable!

In case anyone's interested it's idphoto4you dot com.

jaydh42 Apr 8th, 2013 10:53 AM

OK! Sounds like a bit of a hassle, however. Barring hassle, however, that is certainly the cheapest, provided pics are accepted by country's Consulate or Embassy.

canadian_robin Apr 8th, 2013 11:03 AM

jaydh42 - I notice that you have tagged your post for Kenya. If you are traveling to Kenya and plan to purchase your visa on arrival, you do not need a photo - the visitor visa that Kenya issues does not have a photo. In Tanzania, the officials at immigration take your photo at the point of entry, so you do not need a visa photo for that country either. CR

jaydh42 Apr 8th, 2013 03:53 PM

Thank you Robin,
We are going to walk in at the Los Angeles Kenyan Consulate and do need pictures. As far a Tanzania, we plan to get the Visa on arrival at Kilimanjaro airport and we were informed by way of Fodors site that no pictures need be taken from home. Again, thanks for your two cents. These forums are just great.

canadian_robin Apr 8th, 2013 06:43 PM

They are great!

One thing that helped us when we landed in Arush - this saved us a bit of timea was to have the immigration form (which we printed off the embassy website) filled out ahead of time.

canadian_robin Apr 8th, 2013 06:49 PM

Sorry - in the midst of a snowstorm here (will this winter ever end??) - power outage seems to have interrupted and scrambled my post.

For Arusha, go to the embassy website before you leave home, print off a copy of the immigration form, and have it filled out ahead of time - this saved us a bit of time and was clearly appreciated by the immigration official.

Always good to have a couple of photos with you in case you lose your passport and have to visit your embassy for a new one. CR

jaydh42 Apr 8th, 2013 09:55 PM

Good ideas Robin. Thanks! Will do.

sandi Apr 9th, 2013 07:56 AM

No photos are required either Kenya or Tanzania when purchasing Visa on arrival. Besides both countries do take your photo and fingerprints during the process providing Visa.

If you wish to go to the Consular office, be my guest... but often it's special hours and they do not turnaround same day, rather you have to return next to pick-up.

Granted it's a good idea to have passport size photos for whatever reason, but for these two countries when purchasing on arrival - not required regardless the price.

wildlifepainter Apr 9th, 2013 08:10 AM

I used Costco for passport photos last time and boy were they ugly. Poor lighting, etc. and I regretted it until I got a new passport this year. I went to the Picture Spot at the mall and paid $20. Money well spent every time I see it.