Visa for Tanzania

Apr 17th, 2018, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Visa for Tanzania

Hi,

I was told I could get a visa when I landed in Kilimanjaro or send my passport to D.C.
I was wondering how all you folks have done it. Not thrilled about standing in line in Africa after the long trip. Also, if something (I donít know what) went wrong, then what? Please advise!

Thanks
Apr 18th, 2018, 04:32 AM

It's a necessary evil, I'm afraid. I've only been through the line once but it wasn't too bad, and I'd been in worse (Nairobi, for example!) What could go wrong? As long as you follow the guidelines (bring the right currency, have enough pages in your passport, fill out the form, etc.) it'll be fine. It was an interesting first exposure to Africa for me, as the arrival hall wasn't air conditioned (and it was over 80 degrees when we landed at 9 p.m.), there were power surges that left us standing in the dark twice waiting for everything to reboot and it was the first time I'd ever been fingerprinted on arriving anywhere. But it was fine. You either spend your time waiting in that line or for your bags on the carousel. Either way, you wait.
Apr 18th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Amyb! Where did you get the forma to fill out and did you use US dollars or African Money?
Apr 19th, 2018, 04:11 AM

You'll have to do some research on that, I don't know where you're from or what Tanzania's requirements for your nationality are. As I recall we got the form when we landed and filled it out in line. Yes to US$, but they had to be newer than a certain year and not torn, etc. I advise looking to a Tanzanian government site or your safari planner (and not some place like this) for the exact requirements.
May 30th, 2018, 07:33 AM

Granted 3month Visa On Arrival

I was grantes 3months visa on arrival
Jun 1st, 2018, 09:27 PM

I climbed Kili and did a safari in 2010. It looks as if the visa system is the same, you can purchase it on arrival. Take a nice new $100 bill, be sure your passport is valid 6 months out. You’ll have to wait at the window, but it doesn’t take long.

My flight went from Addis Ababa to Nairobi to Kili. Most got off in Nairobi. There were only a few of us at the window. Be sure to have your yellow fever certificate if you go somewhere it’s endemic first, like Rwanda or Congo.

Have a lovely visit to Tanzania
Jun 2nd, 2018, 02:52 AM

Rwanda is yellow fever free. Mowmow’s statement surprised me, as it certainly wasn’t an issue when I was there. You might want to look at this, which has a list of yellow fever endemic countries at the bottom of the page: https://www.migration.gov.rw/index.php?id=261

Nevertheless, I would go ahead and get the vaccination anyway, as now it is good for life and you may need one for future travels. Apparently there is currently a shortage of vaccine in the US.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jun 2nd, 2018 at 03:00 AM.
Jun 3rd, 2018, 09:55 AM

That must have changed Heimdall. I was required to get the Yellow Fever vaccine. It was hard to find, the Public Health Dept had to order it for me. Glad I planned way ahead.
Jun 3rd, 2018, 10:41 AM

Mowmow, you are correct that Rwanda requires the Yellow fever vaccination, but it is not an endemic country, which is what I stated.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...low-fever#5302

Last edited by Heimdall; Jun 3rd, 2018 at 10:51 AM.
Jun 3rd, 2018, 01:49 PM

My safari consultant told me to get the visa on arrival. We're arriving in Dar Es Salaam, due to flight changes. She told me that it shouldn't take too long. We arrive at 2:30 AM so hopefully there will not be a long line.

As for yellow fever, I read that sometimes when flying to Zanzibar, even from mainland Tanzania, they ask to see that a yellow fever vaccination was administered, even though it is the same country. DH and I had the vaccine when we went to Peru, Bolivia and the Amazon and according to the Travelers Medical Clinic I go to here in NYC, it is still good, even though we had it about 10-12 years ago. We'll bring our yellow cards just in case they ask. FWIW, DH and I have an appointment this month at the clinic as we need a script for malaria meds, and we need to be inoculated against Typhoid, according to them. Did anyone else get the typhoid meds for Tanzania? They go by the CDC and WHO sites. I also need a tetanus shot as I haven't had one in about 18 years. DH had one last year so he's good.
Jun 3rd, 2018, 02:04 PM

I got typhoid shots for East Africa. First time I went, I had Kaiser insurance and just went to their travel clinic and got everything recommended, including a tetanus shot because I couldn't remember the last time I'd had one (must've been ages). If I'm remembering correctly, years later when returning to EA, I had to get a booster for the typhoid. Yellow Fever inoculation is good for life unless you have special health risks, I believe.

Make sure to take your Malarone on a full stomach. My friend was taking it first thing in the morning (before breakfast) and threw up. I always took it after lunch, so essentially after I'd had two full meals for the day.
Jun 4th, 2018, 02:13 PM

Thanks Leely! I've taken malaria meds many times for over a dozen trips to Southeast Asia and always take them with a meal or just after. The last thing I want is to get sick on safari!
Aug 31st, 2018, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by soods View Post
Hi,

I was told I could get a visa when I landed in Kilimanjaro or send my passport to D.C.
I was wondering how all you folks have done it. Not thrilled about standing in line in Africa after the long trip. Also, if something (I donít know what) went wrong, then what? Please advise!

Thanks
Visa cost $50 and received upon landing
Aug 31st, 2018, 08:20 AM

The visa is $100 for U.S. citizens. I just went a few weeks ago and got the visa upon landing in Dar Es Salaam.
Aug 31st, 2018, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! We just good our typhoid shot for our September trip to Morroco. With a Dr prescription it was $96 at Walgreens. Without a prescription it was $150at a travel clinic. All out of pocket either way. I understand Walgreens will also give yellow fever shots, not covered by insurance either.