video camera question

Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM
g2g
Original Poster

video camera question

As I make my last impulse purchase before I leave next week, I am debating between two dvd camcorders. The better rated and more expensive sony is a 12x zoom, the lesser rated sony and panasonic have 22x zoom. Is 12x zoom sufficient on safari?
Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:28 PM

I would go with the greater zoom. I have 2 camcorders, one with a 10x and and a Canon with 18X The 10x is not sufficient for distant objects, while the 18x is incredible. The 18x is a canon and is a great camera. The 10x is a Sony. Sony's are more expensive than other brands but it is very small and I carry it in my pocket.
Jan 4th, 2006, 08:31 AM

I assume the 12x is optical while the 22x is digital zoom. The key to quality is optical zoom. My old analog camcorder had 20x optical zoom and with a doubler was unbelievable. My new camera the Sony vx2100 has 12x optical zoom which will limit me a bit, but will actually improve my work because it has IS. The temptation to use a long zoom is OK until you see the shaky results which for the most part are unusable - viewers get sick, watching.

Go with the Sony.

Search this Thread