Victoria Falls question

Jan 26th, 2002, 02:51 AM
Steve

Victoria Falls question

Can someone describe Victoria Falls? Is it worth a trip for someone who has been to Niagra Falls? My time will be limited in Southern Africa. Thank you.

Jan 26th, 2002, 07:19 AM
Cindy

I would say Victoria Falls is definitely worth the trip, although I probably would not spend more than a couple of days there. Victoria Falls is not really like Niagara Falls at all. At Victoria Falls, the water falls into a narrow gorge, and you are standing and walking along the top of the other side of the gorge. So you are much closer to the actual waterfall, and will get drenched by the spray. The peak months for amount of water going over the falls are March, April, and May, and the volume of water going over then is astounding. In low water months, some of the sections of the falls will actually be dry. I was there last May, and it was spectacular, especially in the afternoon, with the sun at the right angle to create multiple rainbows. There is a nice paved walkway on the side opposite the falls which runs the entire length of the falls (which I think, if I remember correctly, is about 3/4 mile) with a sort of guardrail and many lookout points. You walk through a rain forest kind of vegetation which grows there because of the continuous spray from the falls. There is a charge to get into the area where you can walk the pathway along the falls, but I don't know how much it is because it was included in the tour I was on. When we were in Zimbabwe last May, we felt no effects that I could see from the political unrest that is occurring there, but I understand the unrest is much worse now, so I wonder if it is effecting the tourists in Vic. Falls. Maybe someone who has been there more recently could tell you. I would not have missed going there for the world, and I hope that tourists can continue to go there comfortably, because it is a spectacular place to visit, and so many of the local people will be in much worse straits than they already are if the tourist trade dries up. You can see the falls from the Zambia side, but I understand it is much less impressive from there. It would be such a shame if people have to start giving it a miss for safety's sake.

Jan 28th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Jan

Well, I haven't been to Niagra, but I have to say that I wouldn't have missed the area for the world. I did the whitewater rafting there (thoroughly enjoyed), the sundowner cruise on the Zambezi (very enjoyable), a daytrip to Chobe gamereserve in Botswana (excellent). Also highly recommended which I didn't do was the jetboat above the falls where apparently you can get right next to them.
The walking around the area is beautiful. Can recommend the Vic Falls Safari Lodge to stay in.
Also, almost forgot to mention that the political situation is hardly felt in Vic Falls, although coming up to the elections it could get much worse. Tourist numbers have severely dropped. I wouldn't personally go this side of March.

Jan 28th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Jane

Well, I haven't been to Niagra, but I have to say that I wouldn't have missed the area for the world. I did the whitewater rafting there (thoroughly enjoyed), the sundowner cruise on the Zambezi (very enjoyable), a daytrip to Chobe gamereserve in Botswana (excellent). Also highly recommended which I didn't do was the jetboat above the falls where apparently you can get right next to them.
The walking around the area is beautiful. Can recommend the Vic Falls Safari Lodge to stay in.
Also, almost forgot to mention that the political situation is hardly felt in Vic Falls, although coming up to the elections it could get much worse. Tourist numbers have severely dropped. I wouldn't personally go this side of March.

Search this Thread