Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Victoria Falls, living in Zim but flying out from Zam?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on my agency' s suggestion, I have already bought the air ticket to Cape Town from Livingstone and booked the Zambezi Sun for my two day trip in Sep. But now want to stay in the Zim side for the colonial style hotel and better view. Yet I still want to check out the Zam side of the Victoria Falls. Is that a good idea, or I should just overnight in the Zam side?

No matter which side I stay, plan to visit the other side anyway. Any idea about the border opening hour? Will that be a long line for immigration?

How about the cost of the activities. are they the same on both sides? Where should I book the tours for the best price - hotel or local agency? I am interested in Livingstone Island Tour, Lion Encounter, Half Day White Water Rafting, and may be Sunset Cruise.
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM

atam,
Sep - Falls on the Zam side are mostly empty! So you should cross border to ZIM (no big fuss and a quick think) and have a look at the falls from there.

If you mean "colonial feel" by staying at the Vic Falls Hotel in Victoria Falls: It's not really wirth the rate they are asking. The lwns etc. are wonderful. But the rooms need refurb urgently.
Breakfast is very simple and not up to that kind of standard. So if you would like to stay on the ZIM side you might have a look at Ilala Lodge - just across the street of the Vic Falls Hotels.

Regarding Lion encounter you should have a look at this thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4

With 1 sentence: DON'T DO IT!

You would encourage these people to get cubs from the mothers at 3 weeks of age, hand raise them, get them used to humans, and selling them to canned hunting farms at the age of between 18 and 22 months. It's exploitation of these gracious cats for only greedy purpose! Don't believe in their "conservation" goals.
I consider this kind of enterprise a CRIME!

Livingstone Island is wonderful that time of year!
You might also consider a heli flight from Livingstone thru the gorge.

All in one - I would stay in Livingstone for all the activities one can do from there and cross the bridge into ZIM for the best view of the falls.

SV

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 05:46 PM

Half day white water rafting - highly recommend it! We did it on the Zambian side. Our lodge Songwe Village, in Livingstone booked the trip using Bundu adventures. They are a very professional outfit and was a lot of fun.

The sundowner cruise - give it a miss! not much to talk about.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:09 PM

Agree with spass-the Ilala is much better than the VF Hotel. I'd stay at the Ilala anytime. VF is very run down.

There is two sides to the Lion Encounter debate and I'm not going to argue about it again. I did it and it was one of the highlights of my life. It's your decision.
Old Feb 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Hi atam, I was there in early October last year and the Zambian side of the falls was totally dry and, well, unexciting. You definitely want to spend more time on the Zimbabwe side for falls-related activity.

I walked across the bridge to cross from Zimbabwe to Zambia; it's really hot, but it only takes about 2o minutes, and you can take a break in the middle to watch the crazy bungee-jumpers!

The border was no big deal, there was a line but it went quickly.

On the Zimbabwe side there is a hotel that looks pretty amazing - I went there for dinner and had a cocktail on their terrace, and if I ever become a millionaire, this is where I will stay It's called Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. Mind you I only saw the common areas - bar (which overlooks a watering hole!) and lobby, but it was pretty spectacular.