Victoria Falls in Nov - worthwhile and cost?

Apr 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Victoria Falls in Nov - worthwhile and cost?

Hi

I am planning to go on Honeymoon to SA in Nov and want to fit in Vic Falls if time and cost make sense, as it sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity. Question I have is:

1. What is the cheapest/most efficient way of doing this? Should I book independently or through a recommended agent?
2. Will probably allow only 2 days as also want to get back down to Madikwe for a safari, is this long enough? Or should I just try to do a safari in zambia at the same time?
3. What will the falls be like at that time of year, as I believe it is still the dry season. If not spectacular then should I give it a miss?
4. approximate costs? Want to stay in a reasonably nice hotel so any recommendations welcomed. Should we fly into Vic Falls or Livingston airport?
5. Are malarial tablets required? Wasn't planning to take them as Madikwe is malarial free but guess Vic Falls is more humid.

For info, rest of itin is:
Arr Jo'burg, transfer to Vic Falls/Livingston, stay 2 nights.
Fly down to Madikwe (either direct or via Jo'burg and maybe driving up there) and spend 3 nights at Etali Lodge
Return to Jo'burg and fly down to Port Elizabeth.
Pick up hire car and drive Garden route for 5-6 days, stopping off along the way at Knysna, Hermanus, Stellenbosch, etc
Arr Cape Town and spend 3-4 days there, possibly staying at MOunt Nelson/cape grace if can get a good deal
Return to London

In total I have about 18 days to fit this all into so I have a bit of slack. Any thoughts on if this makes sense or other places to see/things to do?

Thanks
John
Apr 16th, 2005, 01:54 PM
sandi

When we visited it was in November and stayed in Victoria Falls. The weather was hot and humid. No, the Falls were not at full flow, but that was great... we were able to see them.

When the Falls are at full flow, you see nothing... only the mist/rain for some distance away (you have to wear raincoats) but, you can certainly hear them.

Also, because it's so wet, you can forget about taking photos. We had no such problem, plenty of photos at every viewing point along the route. November was perfect timing.

If you have an agent already booking your itinerary, have them price this side-trip. If doing this all on your own, get online and see what prices you get... an agent might do better for you.

Since you can fly into Victoria Falls and stay in Zimbabwe or fly to Livingston and stay in Zambia, there are flights going into both from JNB. Air can run $300+ r/t person, then you need transfers, and hotel for a day or two. We stayed only 1-nt/1-day as we were continuing onto Chobe in Botswana, so the costs weren't an issue. If, however, you're doing only 1-day (even 2-days), it won't be cheap. And yes, you will require malaria meds here - whether in Zim or Zam.

Aug 5th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Along this same vain, what will the falls be like late March/early April? If one were to take a tour to Livingston Island, would it be too wet?

Thank you.

Lisa
Aug 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Oops, sorry! I meant vein!

Search this Thread