Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Victoria Falls Hotel...I don't know if this is a true story or not...

Victoria Falls Hotel...I don't know if this is a true story or not...

Mar 17th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Victoria Falls Hotel...I don't know if this is a true story or not...

but I thought it was worth posting. I copied this from the Lonely Planet Africa forum. I just stayed at the Victoria Falls Hotel last year and I had a great experience and this next story, posted on February 26, 2003, almost seems unbelievable:

Wife assaulted in Vic Falls Who is Miecles Group?

Hi there. Now that my wife and I rae safely back in Europe. We need some help. During our honeymoon the night manager of the vic Falls Hotel in Zimbabwe tried to get my wife to give him hard currency. He did not want local currency. It was late at night. While I was out sorting more money since we refused to give rand, dollars, or euros to him at the exchange rate he was calculating our bill in...he had security guards at the hotel put my young wife in handcuffs to "teach her a lesson. Zimbabwe is for Zimbabweans now." They took her to the local jail and told the police that she had insulted Robert Mugabe. When I returned to the hotel, she was missing. We were not guests there - we simply ate dinner there. A guard told me that she had been taken to the jail. I was told that she would be put in with the drunken men, we should have paid the money.....

Well, if they put you in jail on a Fri night in Zim, you will stay until at least Mon when the judge returns. It was a nightmare. it made the front pages, but we are fortunate. An Australian was killed apparently a few days later.

Here is my question....does any one know how to get in touch with the Miecles Group ( sp?) We thought that Vic Falls Hotel was a government hotel...but apparently it is mamged by a private company by this name, and they need to know what happened so that others will not get hurt or ripped off by these unscrupulous employees.

Thaks for any help.

-------------------------
Mr. Honeyloper
Mar 17th, 2003, 11:38 PM

Rocco
I personally think there is something fishy with this man's posts on LPTT.
At one time he posted that they'd had a perfect trip and then suddenly he was posting about things like this.
One does not say on one's return that one had a perfect trip if something like this happened.
One might say one had an almost perfect trip which was marred by a few very serious incidents.
The way he is posting on any and every thread he can (or was a few weeks back) makes me think this is some kind of vendetta against staff in this lodge.
I don't know what it's about.
But there is very very definitely something about his posts which makes me incredibly dubious about what he has written.
That said you all are free to take or discount his post as you like, of course!
Kavey

Search this Thread