Leaving in 2 weeks for Tanzania safari with Warrior Trails

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a false start to a planned trip to Kenya and Tanzania in May, I am pleased to have a new plan for a Tanzania safari in July. As with my previous 2 safaris, I'm travelling with my daughter Dreezy (whose name will be familiar to some Fodorites).

Dreezy is staying on in Tanzania for a year following our safari! She will be volunteering as a Social Worker with HIV/AIDS orphans at Peace House Secondary School just outside Arusha. Here are the safari details:

<b>Background</b>: 3rd trip to Tanzania; all-drive safari
<b>Ground operator</b>: Warrior Trails
<b>Focus</b>: wildlife, cultural interaction
<b>Accommodations</b>: tented camps except for in Arusha & at crater rim
<b>Highlights</b>: overnight in a Maasai boma, staying at the Mara River, staying at West Kili, visiting Mkomazi and Pangani (the Zanzibar of the Tanzanian coast)

Day 1: Arrive Arusha. Overnight Mount Meru Game Lodge
Day 2: Drive to Esilalei Maasai Boma to participate in traditional activities. O/N at boma.
Day 3: Esilalei Boma to Tarangire. O/N Lake Burunge Tented Camp
Day 4: Full day Tarangire. O/N Lake Burunge Tented Camp
Day 5: Drive to Serengeti. O/N Kati Kati Camp
Day 6: Full day central Serengeti. O/N Kati Kati Camp
Day 7: Drive to Mara River. O/N Lemala Camp
Day 8: Full day Mara River O/N Lemala Camp
Day 9: Drive to Ngorongoro O/N Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge
Day 10: Crater tour. O/N Farmhouse
Day 11: Drive to West Kili. O/N Kambi ya Tembo
Day 12: Full day west Kili. O/N Kambi ya Tembo
Day 13: Drive to Mkomazi. O/N Babu's Camp
Day 14: Full day Mkomazi. O/N Babu's Camp
Day 15: Drive to Pangani. O/N Emayani Lodge
Day 16: Full day Pangani beach. O/N Emayani Lodge
Day 17: Full day Pangani beach. O/N Emayani Beach
Day 18: Drive to Arusha. O/N Corridor Springs Hotel
Day 19: Drop off Dreezy at Peace House & Calo at airport for outbound flight

Having stayed in both the Northern Serengeti and West Kili on our last trip at the same time of year, these were absolute musts again for us this time. We are also thrilled to be overnighting in a Maasai boma, and spending some time at Mkomazi and Pangani all of which will be new experiences for us. Needless to say, the level of excitement is off the chart. The added excitement for Dreezy is her volunteer opportunity. I'm very proud of her.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM

Wonderful itinerary Calo and can't wait to hear about it when you return.
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 01:40 PM

Wow! Interesting itinerary, yet I see is lots of long hauls,
Day 5, south of Tarangire to Kati Kati in Seronera
Day 9, Lemala North to Ngorongoro, and
Day 11, Ngorongoro to Sinya

You're a better woman than I am!
Old Jun 19th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

I'll be posting a trip report upon my return, Raelond.

Sandi, I don't know about being a better woman than you are, but we do enjoy the drives.

<i>Day 5, south of Tarangire to Kati Kati in Seronera</i>
Lake Burunge is only about 10 minutes from the Tarangire gate. This drive should be in the realm of 6 hours.

<i>Day 9, Lemala North to Ngorongoro</i>
At 9 hours, this is a long day, but we're often "in the field" for that long anyway. We'll head out at the crack of dawn for an early start.

<i>Day 11, Ngorongoro to Sinya</i>
Drive time to Kambi ya Tembo is only 2 hrs from Arusha, so added to the 2.5 hrs from the Farmhouse to Arusha isn't too bad a day at all.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 07:59 AM

Looks fantastic!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 08:18 AM

Calo, Lake Burunge Camp is about an hour from Tarangire's main gate and most of the road is dirt and not in very good shape. There is a secondary gate near the camp that was closed when I stayed there, but TANAPA may have finally opened for the camp. I think you'll find that the camp's location might add some extra time to your expected drive schedule. It's a lovely camp, BTW, and if that gate is open, should be a great place to stay.

Kambi ya Tembo is about 3 hours from Arusha and the Farmhouse is another 3 hours, so it's a bit further than you may think. There is also the Arusha traffic to consider, as you'll have to go through town. I've stayed at Kambi and the Farmhouse... both nice properties. You'll probably end up in Arusha around lunch. There are places to eat the the Cultural Centre (and shopping.) You could also have lunch at Olasiti Lodge, another TWC property.

I've done the drive from the Crater to the northern Serengeti and it's an all-day drive, but much of it is a game drive through the Serengeti, so you'll enjoy that. If you do the half-day drive in the Crater, then move on to the Farmhouse, you'll have most of the afternoon free. There is a nearby orphanage that I've been involved with, the Rift Valley Children's Village. It's about a half hour off the main road, with the turn-off next to the Farmhouse property. Perhaps your outfitter could schedule a visit there for you. Their website is:
www.tanzanianchildrensfund.org.

Enjoy your safari!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Glad that ShayTay jumped in with drive times. They are longer than you indicate... but what's another hour or two or three when on safari?

As long as you know, you won't be surprised... Enjoy!
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for clarifying, Sandi and ShayTay. I was going by a combination of what's posted on the Tanganyika Wilderness Camps website and my memory from our last trip (for the Farmhouse, at least). Obviously neither is reliable!

We visited the Rift Valley Children's Village on our first trip. From their website it looks as though they've come a long way since we were there in 2006.
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 08:55 AM

Indeed they have, Calo! The trees we planted in 2005 at what was to be the site of the new orphanage are now tall and strong, much like the kids. I sponsor a boy there, Mole. You should stop by and see what they've accomplished in the last few years, not only for the orphanage but for the primary school and the neighboring village.