Victoria Falls Activities (Adventure)

Feb 4th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Victoria Falls Activities (Adventure)

With the recent discussions about elephant back rides in Zambia, and the questionability of one of the companies that offers that activity, I thought that other Fodorites may be interested in seeing this particular company, Batoka Sky. While they do not do elephant back safaris, they have some really fun looking activities around Victoria Falls such as quad biking, microlighting, white water rafting and jet boating and much more:

http://www.batokasky.com/
Feb 4th, 2006, 04:55 PM

My husband and I, who are in our late 60's, did the microlight flight with Batoka Sky over Victoria Falls in Sept. The younger people, who were going on the helicopter, thought we were crazy. I wouldn't have missed the ride for the world. In additon to the thrill, one gets a perspective of the falls that can't be had any other way.
Feb 4th, 2006, 06:33 PM
santharamhari

Rocco,

In Vic falls, i only have experience from white water rafting, and i highly recommend Bundu adventures.....especially our guide Temba......we didnt fall off the raft even once!!!(although we all had to jump into the water initially to get the feel of the water and to ensure in our minds that it is perfectly safe and easy to get back into the raft if we were to tumble over!!!)

Feb 5th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Thanks for the info. - it looks like I may have to put Vic.Falls on my to do list for my next trip. Although the jet boating (are those jet skis) would not make the list.

Brit: kudos to you for squashing age stereotyping. Microlighting sounds like such a rush - can you tell me more about it? How high up, how long are you up, price,noise level etc.

Hari; Can you also elaborate on the rafting - does the guide
do all the work or do the guests paddle etc.

Thanks;
Sherry
Feb 5th, 2006, 05:32 AM
santharamhari

Sherry,

You definitely have to do a LOT OF PADDLING!!! all the guide does,.....is give u the right instructions in terms of which direction you paddle at what moment, at that particular rapid etc etc., On the whole, the orientation takes a good half hour, then a bit of practice and off you go. Lots of fun.....

Feb 5th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Hari;
That sounds that the rafting around here - I've rafted in Maine and outside Montreal. It's good and bad to have to do alot of paddling - it keeps you from capsizing but can sometime prevents you from enjoying the surroundings.

I believe when paddling out in the western US areas that the guide does all the paddling.

The first time I rafted our very zealous guide ordered me to sit on the raft edge - he then proceeded to throw me in. After spitting out the water from my mouth, I asked him why he did that and he said I looked like I needed to get wet - guess he thought I looked like a wimp (he was right) .
Sherry
Feb 5th, 2006, 05:52 AM
santharamhari

Sherry,

The only other place, i have rafted is in Alaska....that pales in comparison.

You do get to enjoy the surroundings, there are parts where you take a breath and enjoy the surroundings and go with the flow of things.....one of the rapids is considered way too technical, so you pull up on the edge and get out and walk around that particular rapid.........it's a lot of fun.....enjoy!

Feb 6th, 2006, 03:31 AM

I have to agree with santharamhari. We went river boarding/rafting with Bundu and we had Temba. Great trip and very safe. We seen other companies flipping rafts and doing some stupid things (like standing on the sides of the raft holding hands as they went down a minor rapid - a lot of falling bodies (in and out) - that was with SafPar).

Temba was good
Feb 6th, 2006, 07:45 PM
santharamhari

Drehburg,

Hi! Glad you had the same experience with Temba.....did you buy the DVD from them also? It is a well-made memoir of the whole experience........i make everyone watch it....i must have seen it atleast a 100 times already.....

Feb 7th, 2006, 03:33 AM

santharamhari,

No, I did not. I bought the Picture CD, but it is unreadable. I have emailed them about this with no reply, so I may be S.O.L. on it.

Either way, it was fun.
Feb 7th, 2006, 05:51 AM
santharamhari

OK

Feb 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM

Out of curiosity...what does SOL stand for?

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 7th, 2006, 06:10 PM

julian~an american expression:
sh*t out of luck!
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Sherry,

After getting thrown in the river by the rafting guide, once he turned his head, I may have been tempted to swat it like a baseball with my oar! I would have said that it looked like he needed to get a concussion!
Feb 7th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Ha, good thought Rocco > - I can see it now, me and this lumber jack of a guy whacking each other with oars whilst flowing down the rapids. Good photo op.
Sherry

Search this Thread