Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   victoria falls activites (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/victoria-falls-activites-678654/)

Georgie2007 Feb 10th, 2007 07:48 PM

victoria falls activites

We are looking at going on a sunset river cruise during our stay in Victoria Falls. Any advice on what operator or boat to go on would be greatly appreciated. Also has anybody been to the craft market at Victoria Falls. Is it easy to get to and is it worth a visit.

CarlaM Feb 10th, 2007 08:57 PM

I visited the craft "market" and also the craft "village" in Vic Falls, Zimbabwe. Our lodge shuttle dropped us off and it wasn't very far at all (5 mins). We took the bus back. The "market" is quite an experience and if you decide to go be sure to take items to barter with. I traded my new Jeep hat and t-shirts for alot of cool wood carvings and my friend traded Ralph Lauren and Polo shirts (worn not new). They wanted my sunglasses, shoes etc. I actually had a headache when we were done as it is an intensive shopping experience with everyone wanting you to buy their wares but I was glad we did it. We stayed there less than 45 mins. then proceeded to the craft "village" where we found more unique items and it was less stressful. Also in the town are some great little shops we enjoyed and the locals were really friendly and helpful directing us around.

If you want to sift through my photos from the Dec 2005 album you will find several photos from all 3 places. http://www.kodakgallery.com/carlasadventures

Our lodge arranged the sunset river cruise that was one of the highlights of my trip. I did the helicopter ride over the falls and my friend did the elephant encounter (which I should have done too after seeing her video, it was so cool).

Georgie2007 Feb 10th, 2007 10:09 PM

Thanks CarlaM. Your photos are great and I think we will go to both the craft market and village. We lived in Malaysia about 10 years ago so am used to batering and quite enjoy it. we are also doing the boma dinner and helicopter ride which should be great. Whilst in Thailand we did an elephant trek so probably wont do it at Victoria Falls, especially as we have booked an elephant experience whilst staying at Baines Camp in Botswana. Thanks again.

suzic Feb 10th, 2007 10:09 PM

Your tour operator, or hotel can easily arrange for you. I personally stay away from Shearwater- but that is for personal reasons, they recently tool baby ele's from their herd in Hwange park for their "ele back safari operations" in Vic Falls and elsewhere. I find this reprehensible. I also do not like the way they treat their animals in the ele safaris or the lion walk - again personal opinion. You can also quite easily arrange when you get there, from your hotel or a booking agent in town. The sunset cruise is not difficult to add on! You could also do a google search for sunset cruise- victoria falls- and see who you would like to go with, prices etc, and most likely sign up on the net!

panecott Feb 11th, 2007 07:13 AM

I enjoyed your photos, Carla. We did stand in many of the same spots, especially at Cape Point. A few of your shots could have been mine - and taken with the Canon S2, right?!!

Georgie,
Good advice from Carla about the Vic Falls craft market - bartering is definitely popular with the vendors. Just be forewarned that they are very persistent!

atravelynn Feb 11th, 2007 11:19 AM

Good choice as opposed to bungee jumping and such, IMO.

I went with Shearwater and it was great. We were picked up from Ilala Lodge, transported to the Zambian side with no hassle. We just needed our passports. The boat was a big rubber raft that held about 8 people. Very stable, a peaceful ride, saw a couple of eles, hippos at a distance, lovely sunset. Don't remember the refreshments but that's not why I went.

Georgie2007 Feb 11th, 2007 11:37 AM

A small boat sounds like fun. We are staying the Zim side so if we go on the sunset cruise from the Zambian side would we have to pay the $100 visa as this would make the cruise very expensive. I would like to organise it before I leave Australia as we wantto do the sunset cruise the day we arrive in Victoria Falls.

matnikstym Feb 11th, 2007 12:55 PM

I believe you would have to pay the visa fee to get into Zambia. It might be different on an Australian passport, but a U.S. passport you'd have to pay.

jasher Feb 11th, 2007 01:02 PM

Hello Georgie,

If you're staying on the Zim side you may want to check out the sunset cruise offered by Ilala Lodge on their boat, the Ra-Ikane.

http://www.ilalalodge.com/

Cheers,
Julian

Georgie2007 Feb 11th, 2007 01:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Wow that would make it an expensive exercise. I think I will take the sunset cruise from the Zim side. Does anyone know if any company is better than the rest. EG: smaller boats, longer trip etc.

matnikstym Feb 11th, 2007 02:14 PM

check out www.safpar.com for activities on both sides. that should give you all the info for the cruise

atravelynn Feb 11th, 2007 02:44 PM

If Shearwater is taking baby eles from the wild, then go down the Zambezi in someone else's raft.

Georgie2007 Feb 11th, 2007 03:15 PM

Thanks for info and no shearwater if they are taking bay ele's from the wild. I was also considering the lion encounter but have chosen not to due to this forum's discussion and the question about what happens to the lions when they are to old for the lion encounter.