Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Vic Falls where to stay/ Zambia side (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/vic-falls-where-to-stay-zambia-side-636260/)

Fil Aug 3rd, 2006 06:18 AM

Vic Falls where to stay/ Zambia side

Please help me. I need to choose a lodge, near the river...any suggestion?

panecott Aug 3rd, 2006 06:53 AM

The Zambezi Sun and the Royal Livingstone are along the river and adjacent to the Falls, and each other. There is a private entrance to the Falls for hotel guests.
I stayed at the Zambezi Sun and enjoyed it a lot. It's resort-y. Very comfortable rooms, large pool, great food and service, and the price is right. I could hear the thundering of the falls and see the spray from my room. I would stay there again.
The Royal Livingstone has a more "refined" feel and look to it, but it's also a lot more expensive.

bots Aug 3rd, 2006 07:44 AM

I love the Taita Falcon Lodge ,it is situated above rapid 17 and 1 km from the vic falls border.

santharamhari Aug 3rd, 2006 10:11 AM

I stayed at Songwe Village (a Kwando camp)the hosting, management, bath with a view, guiding all excellent!!!

Rooms were ok.....

Hari

moremiles Aug 3rd, 2006 10:37 AM

We loved the River Club-open chalets to the river, lots of colonial atmosphere and hippo pods within sight!

panecott Aug 3rd, 2006 10:52 AM

I forgot to mention the Natural Mystic Lodge. Beautifully situated in a peaceful location on the river, with swimming pool and individual chalets.
It's about a 10-15 minute ride from the Falls so if you don't have a car it would be a bit inconvenient.

Clematis1 Aug 3rd, 2006 04:12 PM

If it's a first trip to Africa and if this is your first stop and you want comfort and luxury - Royal Livingstone. (it's also the only one I know...)

jasher Aug 5th, 2006 03:12 PM

Hello,

It depends if you want a lodge (small, intimate, located on the banks of the Zambezi away from the town) or a hotel (much larger, located closer to the falls).

My top recommendations for the former would be River Club or Tongabezi. They are full board and include a number of activities. I'd definitely choose a lodge in Vic Falls.

If you did want to stay in a hotel and have to stay on the Zambian side, I'd recommend the Royal Livingstone. However, the Victoria Falls Hotel on the Zim side is my real first choice - much more atmosphere at a fraction of the price.

Cheers,
Julian

Fil Aug 6th, 2006 04:43 AM

I also prefer a Lodge, but they are fully booked. Tongabezi as one night only and we intend to stay 3 nights. It is not Tongabezi far from anythingh?

I wuold like sonthingh close to the river (riverview) buto not far from Vic Falls...and not expensive! Impossble!

jasher Aug 6th, 2006 04:56 AM

Hello,

Tongabezi has free transfers to the Falls - it's about 20 minutes or so, so not far at all. You should also check out their Sindabezi Island option, which is a bit more rustic but still very nice.

I'm afraid that river view and inexpensive is a difficult combination. If you were willing to do Zimbabwe, you could stay at the Vic Falls Hotel or Ilala Lodge - no river view, but within walking distance of the falls.

Cheers,
Julian