Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Vic Falls to Cape Town (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/vic-falls-to-cape-town-753072/)

learnix Dec 13th, 2007 07:41 AM

Vic Falls to Cape Town

As I keep mining this board for great tips about our upcoming trip through Africa, I do have one more (at least) question.

Two-thirds of our way into the trip we will be in Victoria Falls, and I had intended to make our way along the Caprivi Strip using public conveyances to Windhoek, rent a car, and then head down to Cape Town by plane car, bus or whatever.

However, I am now thinking that while the Caprivi Strip has some lovely lodges along the river, it is very hard to get anywhere without your own wheels, and the only place you can get wheels is in Windhoek (without a $500 drop-off fee.)

So, would it make much more sense to fly from Vic Falls to Windhoek, rent a car there and toodle around Namibia for ten days or so, before taking another flight to Cape Town and renting a car there.

I hate to tie myself down to exact dates, but are flights out of Vic Falls and Windhoek much cheaper if one books way ahead or can you do deals up to departure time?

Again, many thanks for your great advice.

Nigel

sandi Dec 13th, 2007 10:46 AM

Doubt there are daily flights from VFA to WDH, but I'd fly to WDH and here rent vehicle to tour Namibia... going north to Etosha, back wo the Swakopmond Coast and down to Namib Rand/Sossevlei, back to WDH. Here fly to CPT... again, check schedules and there may not be daily flights.

I don't think there will be big seasonal (month to month) price differences if traveling other than holidays or school breaks, so check when these take place in SA and Namibia.

There are some interesting trip reports regarding visits to Namibia; you should read, when, where, staying at, etc. Many use a company in Namibia called Cardboard Box with good results and service - rooming and vehicle rentals.

mkhonzo Dec 15th, 2007 04:08 AM

Sandi I believe is spot on, no flights between VFS and MDK, however there are scheduled flights between Katima and Windhoek. Take a bus to Katima and fly from there.

learnix Dec 15th, 2007 05:25 AM

Mbandaka (MDK) is in the Congo!

Isn't that rather a detour to get from Vic Falls to Windhoek?

Nigel

learnix Dec 15th, 2007 05:34 AM

Another thought is taking the Intercape express bus from Vic Falls to Windhoek, and stopping along the way at Chobe and some nice spots along the Caprivi Strip, such as Island lodge and Hakusembe, where I stayed 3 years ago while cycling from Vic Falls to Cape Town.

The bus may be problematic, but seems sort of silly to fly to Windhoek, get a car and then drive all the way back again!

One place I really loved was the Canon Lodge just outside the Fish River Canyon. rarely mentioned, but a wondeful experience.

Thanks again,

Nigel

mkhonzo Dec 15th, 2007 06:15 AM

WDK....Oh learned one!

mkhonzo Dec 15th, 2007 06:16 AM

Windhoek if you like and for the pros on the board i believe that it is WDH

sandi Dec 15th, 2007 06:35 AM

mkhonzo -

It's one big alphabet soup :)

Though 1/letter can have you off to another country - gotta double check before accepting those airline tickets.