Vic Falls/JNB flight prices and why Safari costs $$$

Apr 12th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Vic Falls/JNB flight prices and why Safari costs $$$

I think I can get airfare covered to Cape Town and JNB with FF miles but the rest will be out of pocket. What kind of prices can I expect (2 people)???

I keep seeing everyone post the prices for lodging at the Safari places and they seem quite high. What am I getting for $500/night? Is that PER PERSON or for a couple? With those kinds of prices I can only afford 1 night.

I am looking for a 10-12 day trip with 2-3 days on Safari/Big 5 watching. Would probably only want 1 night in Vic Falls.

Are there any kinds of budget prices available in advance? Prefer to do independent travel or very small groups.

My trips to NZ and OZ were sooo much easier to plan!
Apr 12th, 2004, 02:12 PM
sandi

If you've got your air covered to/from CPT / JNB - then consider the r/t air from JNB to VFA is about $350+ per person and then you have to consider the hotel.

As to Safari, yes there are plenty of prices that run $500+/nite/person (many more closer to twice that amount), but you can find accommodation inside Kruger instead of on the private reserves. And even on the private reserves you don't have to spend that much.

Suggest you check:

www.e-gnu.com

theylist most camps/lodges in theKruger area (listed under Mpumalanga); as well as other areas.

The rates cover room, 3-meals daily, game drives, park fees (if any), but you have to consider your transfers from an airport, by whom, how, cost.

Do some reasearch with a few good guidebooks, so to have an idea where & how you want to do your game viewing. There are options. And since you don't mention what kind of budget you're working with, it's difficult to provide more information.

Apr 12th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Alise,

At a minimum, I think you must allow for at least $150 per night per person. Even with basic accomodations, you will need this amount to cover your air & road transfers.

If that is within your budget, post back the specific areas you wish to see so that we may offer you precise advice.

Good luck.
Apr 14th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Roccco

We never really have a budget per se....since normally we have airfare and lodging covered with points/miles.

But I try to save $ where I can so I can enjoy lots of attractions, shopping for local artwork, gifts and cover the extra transportation costs.

I think we spent around 3K in Germany/Amsterdam over 10 days last June and hubby wasn't too concerned! BUT this year I will be unemployed while finishing up school. SO he might not be as carefree with the funds! BUT I think this would make a GREAT graduation present, don't you?!

I did some research on the SA Ntl Parks website and came across ADDO.

I did a search here but nothing really came back that said it was good or bad.

I am thinking we fly into Cape Town, spend about 4 days then head towards Port Elizabeth/Addo. I see good prices from Schotia for their 2 night lodge/safari pkgs (2000 Rand/pp inclusive). That seems extremely reasonable to me.

Would that be an decent 1st trip to SA?
See Cape Town, check out parts of the Garden Route and hopefully get a glimpse of the major animals at Addo/Schotia parks??

I am interested in the dive with the shark "tours" as well!

Search this Thread