Vegetarian

Feb 25th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Richard

Vegetarian

I have heard that there are little / no vegetarian option in Tunisia. Can anyone confirm or refute? Will be stayin in Hammamet or Port El Kantaoui. Thanks

Feb 25th, 2002, 06:21 AM
kelly

Hi Richard,

I am a vegetarian and was in Tunisia last Dec. I didn't have any problem finding vegetarian food, but I did end up eating a lot of veggie cous cous, which is fantastic, the best I have ever had. If you eat eggs, there are a few more options like eggs in a spicy chili sauce (I think its called something like Ojja). There is also Tajine which is like an omelette and not at all like the Moroccan variety. I also ate a few salades,including the salade Mechouia and had them leave off the tuna. Pasta and pizza is also popular and good for a change if you need it. I also like Briq, which is a pastry like appeteaser you can get filled with egg. Oh, and of course don't forget the desserts... Hope that helps a little!

Feb 25th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Richard

Thanks Kelly,
Very helpful. I don't readily eat eggs, but if push came to shove I could. I also read somewhere on the net that most restaurants use beef stock in the veggie cous cous.
Love pasta and pizza and if they are available then I won't have a problem I guess.

Feb 28th, 2002, 02:03 AM
Ursula

Richard: I go regularly to Tunisia and tend to avoid eating meat there, because very often, the quality is not what I like.
So I go for vegetables. The Northern African cuisine has a very large variety of cooked vegetables and you won't have problems there esp. in the two highly developped places Hammamet and Port El Kantaoui. They also have some egg dishes and the most famous Brique a l'Oeuf, Kelly mentioned. Try also Taboule which is cold refreshing salad made with taboule, tomatoes and chopped leaves of mint.
Enjoy your stay.

Search this Thread