Ve's photos..Tanzania/Zanzibar..Sep.08'

Old Sep 26th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Ve
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ve's photos..Tanzania/Zanzibar..Sep.08'

Hope I've done this correctly and able to share my 250 favorite pics.Enjoy them as much as I enjoyed being there.....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slidesho...23_96491569713
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Ve, thanks so much for sharing your lovely photos. From the nuzzling bambis (impalas) to the darling starlings, amber-eyed baboon portrait, lion gnoshing on wildie, soulful elephant eyes and more. Viewing these was a joy.

But I do think your kudu is in fact a grizzled topi.

I stayed at the Tembo House and my friend and I were the only people to hang out on that terrace off the library. We played cards and watched the action on the beach. Beautiful.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Ve
Original Poster

Thanks Leely2 for the nice comments and I stand corrected with what I thought was a Kudu....Grizzled Topi it is. I even went full blast on all search engines to match that pic with a name and thought I'd made a match....guess not, but viewing this beautiful animal was worth the error I most probably made. To make matters worse, our driver/guide said it was an Eland...and he should've know better.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Nice pictures, Ve, thanks I really enjoyed looking at them!
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Note to Ve and others. Leave spaces between words - do not use ....
I think that long text line with no spaces and .... is what has messed up the forum side bar length.

reagrds - tom
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Thanks for sharing your photos, Ve. You're a lot quicker than me! I just got back Thursday from Tanzania; we probably passed each other along the way, maybe even at Tembo Hotel. One other minor ID correction: the birds you show in the second row of photos, about 4 from the left are Woodland Kingfishers, not starlings.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Ve
Original Poster

Thanks for the correction Shay Tay, that's the 2nd mistake I've made in ID-ing wildlife, but that's what our driver/guide told us, plus he had a book on wildlife which he carried with him ....Need I say more. He was a good "people person", I actually liked the guy and had many conversations with him, but as a driver/guide we had a "6" on a scale of 1-10. Guess it could have been worse and we may have wound up with a "3", but everyone wishes they'd get a #10 when taking these trips.
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM

No problem, Ve! With over 400 species of birds flying around, there is bound to be a few misidentifications. The Superb Starling is a beautiful bird; I imagine that's what you were thinking about. Wasn't Tanzania a wonderful experience?!
Old Sep 27th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Ve
Original Poster

You're right ShayTay,Tanzania's a great place, but next time I'd like to try Kenya...guess you can say I'm hooked.

Thanks for the correction, my 2nd one for 2 different species and often just going by what our driver/guide called it. Just goes to show one should do more homework before posting pics, especially if you're a 1st timer like I was.

If I'm lucky enough to return, I've made up my mind to buy a small recording machine to go along with a journal. Tried writing on the dusty, bumpy roads in the NP's, but found it difficult to do so.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Ve, I’m a bit upset that you thought the topi was a kudu and even more upset with your driver. Anyway, thanks for sharing your photos. I loved the baby baboons, baby elephants and the hyraxes. To continue the correction theme, I’d like to say that the “rainbow lizard” is a rock agama
Have you started planning your Kenya trip?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Ve
Original Poster

Nyamera: Now I'm truly getting embarrased about the mistakes in naming some of these critters. A few are my fault, others are the driver/guide we had. Paint me red ! Thanks for the corrections out there, don't mind at all. Am I planning my trip to Kenya you ask ?? Don't dare now !!! All I can say is that I hope that most of you will enjoy the pics I took, even if some of them are named wrong........I'm going back to bed.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:37 AM

For impala, kudu, nyala, steenbok, duiker, kopi, waterbuck, bushbuck, etc. just call them what I do - DLTs. Deer Like Things

regards - tom
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM

These photos are great! I'm going at the end of October and this makes me even more excited.

Out of curiousity, what type of camera gear did you have?
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Ve, don't be at all embarassed by mis-identified photos. Who cares? You tried and we're trying too. This way you can correct your guide if need be on your next trip!
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM

The nuzzling impala was a favorite of mine too, similar to the nuzzing hyenas that appear later on. You have some great baboon faces in there. Your photos show you saw and captured it all, even the irises (a favorite flower) and fancy napkin folding!

Glad to see you got Kodak share figured out!
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Ve
Original Poster

Glad you still enjoyed the photos, almost as much as I enjoyed taking them, but I do care about mis-naming some of the wildlife and glad it was brought to my attention. My hubby said we should be able to correct it with no problem, so going to try very soon.
In the meantime I'll remember DLT, that's very clever.

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Ve
Original Poster

lovejl: Don't know if I'd mentioned the camera I used, but it's a Fuji Digital FinePix S8000 fd....18 zoom.Didn't use attachments, hubby purchased it over the Interent. Hope you have fun in Oct. and good luck....VE
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Ve,
You can change the titles anytime. Or add or delete photos and the original link still works.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Ve
Original Poster

Thanks Atravelynn, that's what I'm going to do, even shorten some of the captions/descriptions. So folks, if you see other things I've mis-named, now's the time to jump in so I can correct it all at once.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM

Don't be embarrassed. I needed help IDing whether one of my pics were leopard or cheetah cubs from my first trip

I think you may have mis-corrected one of the captions. The Lake Manyara photo with 2 birds are kingfishers. The Serengeti and Ngorongoro ones you currently have labeled "woodland kingfisher" are superb starlings. And I think your Tarangire parrot may be a Fischer's lovebird (someone please correct if I'm wrong).

I enjoyed the nice variety of photos in your album from the people to the places to the animals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information