Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Valley of the Kings/Queens query (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/valley-of-the-kings-queens-query-921249/)

Lynneb Jan 25th, 2012 07:30 AM

Valley of the Kings/Queens query

I'm joining a group tour and part of the trip visits the Valley of the Kings. However, it misses the Valley of the Queens and Hatshepsut Temple.

I've seen some photos of this temple and it looks pretty amazing. Is it something unique that I shouldn't miss or are there other similar temples at the Valley of the Kings?

many thanks

doug_stallings Jan 25th, 2012 07:59 AM

There's nothing else quite like the temple of Hatshepsut, so I would consider that a must-see attraction if your tour has any free time. The Valley of the Queens is harder. It's interesting, but it's not a must-see in the same sense (in my opinion, at least). But if you have an extra hour, you can certainly stop there too. They are fairly close to one another; a couple of them are well-preserved, but the best one (the tomb of Nefertari, is not open to the public ordinarily, which is why a lot of tours skip it. Tours skip Hatshepsut's tomb because of the terrorist act there quite a few years ago, but I just don't get it because the tomb is one-of-a-kind.

sandi Jan 25th, 2012 08:31 AM

I agree with Doug, however, the terrorist attack at Hatshepsut's temple was a few years prior our visit, which attack is now more than 10/yrs ago. Many tours DO stop at this Temple and I'd suggest that even if not indicated on the itinerary, ask. Or as mentioned, take the time to visit on your own.

And while the Valley of Queens, besides that of Nefretari, which thankfully was open (even if cost at a premium over others) was the most amazing, the Valley of Kings is certainly better. However, not every tomb here is opened to the public and they change which are from day-to-day or week-to-week, though many tours give you time to visit others that are open.

Viatrick Jan 26th, 2012 08:56 AM

Another vote to try to get to Deir el-Bahari - Temple of Hatshepsut, if at all possible. I've been there twice - it is quite different from the other temples and the whole story behind Hatshepeut is extemely interesting. It is a beautiful temple, almost like it was just built, and its setting is pretty spectacular. Great paintings and statues of Hathor. They have a transport system to bring you to the temple. So it's not surrounded by tour buses and the like.

Lynneb Jan 26th, 2012 11:45 AM

thank you for this info. I'm going to wait until I can get a tour that includes Hatshepsut as the current operator says that there will not be time for me to get there. Makes me feel the whole trip anyway was perhaps too rushed...

qwovadis Jan 27th, 2012 01:27 AM

Hatshepsut Temple is the most interesting archtectural structure by far have been going since before the tourist attacks there in the 90s a do not miss. affordabletours.com ladyegypt.com many guided options. Or DIY out of Luxor cheaply with a local guide not far at all just across the Nile.

Axel2DP Feb 5th, 2012 05:42 PM

Hatshepsut Temple is at its most spectacular when viewed early in the morning from the top of the cliff to its right. Talk to your tour group or your hotel to see if a walk from VOTK to Hatshepsut can be arranged. There are two things that puzzle me about the temple: a) why was built on the West Bank since that was where the ancient Egyptians buried their dead and (b) why the temple looks so different than all the other temples in Egypt. There's a sleek, modern design sensibility to it that make me ponder sometimes if the archeologists had reconstruct it correctly, LOL.

Speaking of Hatshepsut, does anyone know if the light show there has been installed or has the plan been put on indefinite hold?

Viatrick Feb 27th, 2012 08:54 AM

Wasn't it a mortuary temple? That would place it on the West Bank. As to why it looks so different than the other temples in Egypt, I guess it pays to have a close relationship with your architect! :)

MissGreen Mar 5th, 2012 10:43 PM

I visited Valley of the Queens during my Luxor trip. You could miss it but I would say do not miss Hatshepsut's Temple.

kkimber Mar 6th, 2012 10:59 AM

I concur with MissGreen, I visited both the Valley of the Kings & Queen, and Hatshepsut's Temple. Do not miss Hatshepsut's Temple - a definite must see.

silverstar10 Mar 6th, 2012 12:58 PM

I also concur. Do not miss this opportunity. It is important to use a guide as it would be a mistake not to take in the history of each site. Go early to beat the crowds and heat.
Take a sunrise balloon excursion over the Valley of the Kings - as we did 1.5 weeks ago. Breathtaking and exciting.

MissGreen Mar 6th, 2012 10:52 PM

If Queen Nefertari's tomb was open to the general public then the Valley of the Queens might be a must see.

nola77382 Mar 11th, 2012 11:47 AM

I guess I'm in the minority since Hatshepsut was not a favorite sight of mine on the West Bank. OTOH, I thought Medinet Habu was spectacular and I was glad we included it in our itinerary. We saw three tombs in the VOQ but Nefertari's would only open for a thousands of dollars charge, so we definitely missed that one!

MD May 10th, 2012 06:44 PM

The temple is certainly a site to see, after VoK. The carvings, some still with paint on them, commemorate among other things her expedition sent south to Africa (land of Punt) and so there are recognizable reliefs of various African animals and goods from there.

The temple is apparently an enhanced copy of a smaller one that was beside it. I did not get to Valley of Queens, but we did see some tombs of the nobles and tombs of the workers. The grapevine tomb is truly spectacular; and the small tombs built by workers for their whole family are also as fresh and colourful as the best of the VoK royal tombs.