Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Vaccinations for Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/vaccinations-for-egypt-90104/)

Susan Wojewoda Oct 16th, 2000 06:34 AM

Vaccinations for Egypt

Unexpected opportunity to travel to Egypt around November 1. Everything I've read says that vaccinations should be received at least one month prior. Should I still go ahead with them. Seems that I need to get Hepatitis A/B. Has anyone heard anything different?

Robert Oct 16th, 2000 06:50 AM

As far as I know no vaccinations are required, or neccessary, for Egypt.

x Oct 16th, 2000 08:22 AM

see "shots help" which has been brought to the top for you. You will need vaccs.

carol Oct 16th, 2000 10:20 AM

Seems odd, but my doctor said the Hep A vaccine was effective immediately.

Linda Thompson Oct 17th, 2000 02:07 PM

The Hepatitis A vaccine is effective immediately, but you need to get a second injection six months later for lifetime immunization. <BR> <BR>We also got polio, tetanus, and typhoid at the recommendation of our local health department travel desk. <BR> <BR>

mary Oct 19th, 2000 08:19 AM

suggest you ask Dr about gamuglobulin (spelling) shots. I took every shot recommended plus gamuglobulin and still got sicker that a dog. Stayed at Sheridan Jezira, watched carefully what I ate, and was sick within 3 days. Great country to visit if you don't have to eat or drink!

Myriam Oct 19th, 2000 10:08 AM

<BR>Mary, <BR>You must have had bad luck. I had no shots at all for Egypt, except the obvious hepatitis and tetanus, and never got sick overthere, nor in other parts of Africa. <BR>By the way, it is not only the food that makes people sick. Also the jetlag and the big difference in temperature may cause sickness. <BR> <BR>

LEANNA Oct 19th, 2000 07:58 PM

Hi all.....well I want shots but at this point I think I'm off to Egypt in April wo/ them. Thought I was going to get my Hep A&B covered by insurance and when I showed up at my drs. today....they are $60 & $65 each because I dont need them medically only for travel therefore NOT COVERED. So that is $400 for the full series. Then I have to go to a private dr. for my typhoid and that is $75 plus $30 office visit. So...thats over $500 and too rich for my blood. I called the LA County and it seems Los Angeles has no clinic which would be cheaper. If by chance anyone out there can tell me a cheaper way to do this healthy thing....please do so!!! I want to have my shots....just in case...but I can't afford the shots AND the trip!!! sigh!! Thanks!

Shelley Davis Oct 21st, 2000 03:28 PM

Susan, I traveled thru Egypt and the Middle East during December/January and only required Hep A. Have Fun Its a wonderful place to visit

Amy Nov 6th, 2000 02:50 PM

Call the CDC. They even have a web site with their phone number. When I went to Egypt I got a number of vaccinations. I feel rather safe than sorry!

Cindy Nov 7th, 2000 08:01 AM

I went to Egypt last year and only had the Hep.A. All the other vaccinations are only if your doctor recommends them (depends on your personal health issues). Had a wonderful time. The cruise down (or up?) Nile was unforgettable. Did not get sick, felt totally safe, would go back in a second. Hope you have an awesome experience!