vaccinations

Aug 18th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

vaccinations

I know there have been several threads on the vaccinations and I just wanted to figure out whether or not I need to get Polio as an adult. I definitely had the whole polio series as a child, and am unsure if I need it now.

I just got the yellow fever vaccine and took the 5-year typhoid pills last year, have tetanus, did hepatitis A (2-parts) in 1999, and have MMR.

I already have a prescription for Malarone and also for Cipro.

We leave in 6 weeks for our first trip to Africa and are extremely excited. I'll be posting more questions as the date gets closer.

Comments and experiences with the vaccinations would be appreciated.
Aug 18th, 2005, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we will be in Kenya/Tanzania/Pemba - specifically, Masai Mara, Arusha, Tarangire, Ngorongoro, and Pemba Island.

Aug 18th, 2005, 05:20 AM
sandi

Although, technically, Polio has been eradicated, there are occasional outbreaks in various parts of the world... including Africa. I know when I started traveling years back, I updated all inoculations not had since a child and Polio was one of them. It will last for the rest of my life.

Whether it is a "must" has to be discussed and decided between you and your physician. Mine didn't cost anything other then the co-pay for my office visit - so practically nothing!

Search this Thread