Using Frequent Flyer Miles

Apr 9th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Using Frequent Flyer Miles

I know there is an answer somewhere but I can't find the thread.

I have United miles and want to use them for business class to travel next June. I do not understand how you book the outbound 331 days in advance. What do you do about the return flight. I was told the booking is based on the return flight. So if you wait for 331 days before the return, I would guess all of the outbound seats might be gone. Can someone please explain how this works.

Thanks
Apr 10th, 2006, 04:03 AM

Hi Spiegelcjs,

Unfortunately, this is luck of the draw. If you are trying to fly SAA (which I recommend) it will be very popular. You'll need to wait until your return trip is within the 331 day window and you'll want to start calling at midnight. The longer your stay in Africa, the greater the chance that someone will snatch up the only award seats on the outbound. In this case, if the SAA flights are gone, United will help you find another route (we used a combination Singapore Air and Lufthansa - both with lay flat seating) thru Europe and that worked great.

A tip - if you don't get the exact flight you want, start to think more creatively and use different airports. We live in Cleveland but find that the award tickets with the best partners are usually available out of NYC so we pay for our tickets from Cleveland to NYC and pick up the award from there.

Good luck! Something always works out - but being early is key. You're on the right track.
Apr 10th, 2006, 10:12 AM

I believe UA's standard reservation hold on Mileage Plus awards is 72 hours. However, you could try asking if they'll book your outbound, leave the return open and extend the reservation hold without ticketing until your return is within 331 days. There are reports on FT that they will do this for you - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=18562

Search this Thread