Using a video camera in Egypt

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading that using a video camera in Egypt can be hazardous. I'm told that:

1. you have to register your video camera when you arrive in Egypt
2. there are many places that you have to pay to be able to video
3. there are places where you are not allowed to video at all (eg: Valley of the Kings)
4. If you are caught videoing somewhere that you are not permitted to video (albeit unwittingly) they will remove your tape/card/CD from your camera.

Has anyone used a video camera in Egypt? If so, what was your experience? Did you encounter problems?
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM

In Cairo you can NO longer take pics inside the Museum, so forget the video and still camera here.

In the VofK/Q, when we visited - few years back - they permitted 3/pics (which they click off) per tomb for a small fee, but if you were caught taking more, camera or media/film removed (unless you were fast enough to do it yourself). This 3/pics may or may not still be in effect; if not, then no pics can be taken.

You can take pics at Giza plateau, Sphinx, Memphis, outdoor temples, along the Nile, the Bazaar in Cairo and others. No pics of military installations, government buildings, soldiers, etc... much like it is elsewhere around the world.

With today's video cameras being no bigger than a regular digital, it's rare that you will have issue bringing it in or having to register. Just be prepared that somewhere, someone is going to question if you're taking "video"

Anyone with more current info, please add.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 10:17 AM

What Egyptian silliness. What are they afraid of from a tourist with a video camera? Lost souvenir sales? Not very friendly to tourism.

regards - tom
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 10:29 AM

My husband uses a monopod on our digital camera and in several places they wanted to charge a fee for it - we learned to tuck it into the backpack and bring it out later.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM

When I was in Luxor, in the Valley of the Kings , a security police told a fellow form Australia NOT to video tape inside the Tomb.

He went in and taped anyway...foolish move.!

The Secuirty Police dressed all in white, asked for his video.

He had no choice but to hand it over.
I do not know what happened after that.

So be forewarned..ask first to make sure.. if there is a fee , you have to pay it.
In some places, there is NO fee and NO video.

So when you see that circular sign of a video with a line crossing through it.. then NO video.

Take heed because while you are filming, someone you never saw ( police security) may just come up behind you, tap you on the shoulder and ask for your video recorder.

Percy

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:35 PM

Not just video. I was asked by someone claiming to be security to hand over my still camera (Valley of the Kings). I refused and he cursed me. I cursed him right back and he simply left. I think some of this stuff, even at the Valley of the Kings is a scam. Soem of these guys are just after a bribe or so I was later told by our guide. If you are stopped you might try slipping the guy a couple of pounds (try 10 pounds).
Ted
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:15 PM

So, do you think that if I use my point and shoot small digital camera's video option, I can be stopped too to hand over the memory card? This might be most obvious, if I hold the camera pointed at an object for longer than a second or if I scan a scene from one side to the other slowly? What has your experience been? Thanks.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 07:48 PM

Lesuk:

You probably will not look so obvious with a point and shoot digital camera.

But since One US$ buys you 5.5 Egyptian Pounds....why not give the security police ,say 10 to 20 pounds and film away in comfort.

That is if he will take it..maybe there is just No video under any circumstance.
Personally, I would ask and pay if paying was an option.

We are not talking big money here, but rather $2.00 to $ 4.00

Percy

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

My problem would be that, based on Temba's experience, if a guy in plain clothes approaches you and says that he is security police and you bribe him and then start videoing, that guy disappears and a real security guy confiscates your camera. If the security police are dressed in plain clothes, how do you tell the crooked from the corrupt?
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 03:15 AM

If it is clearly indicated that no video is allowed then don't shoot. If "no video" is allowed they are supposed to allow still photography. The trouble is they are not very sophisticated and cannot differentiate between the two type of camera. Some of the new cameras will take both video and still. I agree with Percy as far as paying whatever the fee, however often it is an off the book scam operation and whatever you do don't give up your memory card or camera to someone in plain clothes just because they try and intimidate you. In my case the guy actually tried to grab my camera-I did not let him get away with that and he disappeared into the crowd. I think they are more conserned about video than still photography so it might be worthwhile asking your guide or someone at the front desk of your hotel to write the phrase still photograph on a card and show it when someone asks.
Ted