Using a Cell Phone in Tanzania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaving for Tanzania on March 12 and I want to be able to use my cell phone while I am there. I have a quad band phone with ATT service. Has anyone used their cell phone successfully in Tanzania? Does anyone have the code for calling the US from there?
I know that it has to be unlocked for use there.
Thanks for the help

Betty
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:50 AM

To make intl calls from Tanzania, dial 000 + country code + area code + number. The country code for the US is 1, so to call the US, you'd dial 000-1-area code-number.

Your phone doesn't need to be unlocked if you plan to use ATT's intl roaming. It does need to be unlocked if you plan to buy a local SIM. I think ATT currently charges $3.99 per minute for roaming in Tanzania (applies to outgoing, incoming, voicemail, etc). You keep your current number. If you purchase a local SIM, you'll have a Tanzanian number but the per minute rates will be cheaper for you but anyone calling you from the US will pay long distance. The best option depends on what you plan to use your phone for.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patty for the info. Do I have to set it up with ATT for international roaming or can I just use the phone? Also, will my husband be able to call me by just dialing my cell number?

I only plan on using the phone for checking in occasionally but I do want my husband to be able to reach me in case of emergency.

Betty
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 12:32 PM

You have to activate intl roaming on your account if you haven't done so previously. You can do this by calling ATT or perhaps online (I'm not sure about this latter option). If you use the ATT intl roaming service, your husband will be able to dial your same number as usual.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 01:47 PM

When will you be at Ngorongoro Serena Lodge? We will be staying there March 17 and 18.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

raelond

We will be at the Lemala Ngorongoro Camp. We will be there Mar 21 and 22.

Patty Thanks again for the info.

Betty
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
bat

Betty:

We had no problem using our phone (quad band with T-Mobile) throughout the NCA and southern and central Serengeti area--excellent reception. In fact better reception than our friend found with his expensive rented satellite phone. He wound up using our phone to call his wife. As Patty indicated, you need to make sure that you have activated international use.