US Traveler Safety in Marrakech

May 4th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

US Traveler Safety in Marrakech

Hello,

Some friends and I were thinking of traveling to Marrakech sometime at the end of the year or next year sometime. My question has to do with safety. I know it's not bad there or anything, but for myself, I have a very historically famous (or infamous?) jewish surname and was wondering how safe it would be to travel under that surname to Morocco in general? I have never practiced the religion and have never been to Israel (don't care about the country). I just have the surname. I do get mistaken quite a bit as Arab by Arabs here in the US and when I was in Istanbul a few months ago, most people there thought I was a local or from Lebanon. Would it be safe for me? What's the sentiment towards Jews in general in Morocco (including ones who do not practice)?

Thank you very much!
-Mike
May 4th, 2012, 03:22 PM

As they say in Swahili 'hakuna matata' or No Problem.

Considering it's the local population (Muslims) who take care of the Jewish cemetaries in Morocco and a large number of Jews travel to this country regularly, you're unnecessarily worrying.

Names, regardless how they sound can be anyone nowadays. There was a former Police Chief in North Carolina, a black man who was Jewish - Greenberg; Dublin Ireland currently has a Jewish mayor and he's not the first for that city (one had the surname of Quinn, which for sure in the US wouldn't be considered Jewish).

Go and enjoy your holiday.
May 6th, 2012, 05:09 AM

All they will care about is whether you have money.

And only a very small percentage of Moroccans are Arabs, most are pure Berber with some more (including the King) a Berber/Arab mix.
May 8th, 2012, 04:34 AM

I think its unfair to picture the Moroccan the way you did Timcullus, In shops and touristy places thats the norm generally..however in remote and non-touristy zones Moroccans care of what impression you will have on them..they re very friendly and hospitable and is for FREEEEEEE

Search this Thread