Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   US to Africa and Israel (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/us-to-africa-and-israel-918562/)

Old_dude Jan 7th, 2012 09:34 PM

US to Africa and Israel

I have enough AA FF to get from STL to NBO for another safari. However, I would like to stop in Israel on the return. I am looking for a way to do this as AA does not list TLV as a destination. I see Jordan as a possibility, but I am leery of any issues of travel between Jordan and Israel. Travel is not until Fall or later. Thanks for any advice. I posted in Airline forum as well.

qwovadis Jan 8th, 2012 03:11 AM

amman2jerusalem.com
Easily done safest with a tour
though bus also an option.
Do pick up Petra a do not miss
Movenpick best for me there last.

Happy travels!

mbgg Jan 8th, 2012 04:45 AM

It may be more convenient to visit Israel from Jordan using a tour, but since there are currently no safety issues involved in visiting Israel (and most visitors state that they felt safer walking the streets of Israel than those in their home city), then "safest" should not be a consideration.

It is very simple to cross from Jordan to Israel at the Aqaba/Eilat crossing. The Allenby Bridge is a more convenient location but apparently more complicated. You can search for traveler's comments and advice on this and other travel forums.

schmerl Jan 8th, 2012 04:53 AM

The crossing is very easy. You can not take a vehicle from Jordan to Israel or vice versa, but you can arrange a ride on either side of the border.

sandi Jan 8th, 2012 06:56 AM

There are no longer direct flights from Kenya to Israel.
Probably due some crazies trying to bring down an Israeli plan with rocket propelled grenade flying out of Mombasa to Tel Aviv some years back.

Turkish Air flies into NBO and believe you can also fly NBO/ISTanbul to Israel/TLV. Not sure whether Turkish is a partner with AA.

Once in Israel you can arrange visit to Petra via Eilat in the south, or road visit from JER across Allenby Bridge to Amman and elsewhere in Jordan... these often done as a 'tour.

There are flights between TLV/AMM, but not sure schedules/fares. It's perfectly safe for travel between these two countries.

Gardyloo Jan 8th, 2012 09:42 AM

See my response in the airlines forum.

It's very easy - NBO - Amman - Tel Aviv on Royal Jordanian (Oneworld member and AA partner) with a short sterile transit connection at AMM.

Using an AA Oneworld award (as opposed to a series of zone-based "All Partner" one-way awards) you can do STL-ORD-LHR-NBO-AMM-TLV-LHR-ORD-STL for 100,000 miles in economy, or only 130,000 in business class. (Or avoid $1000 or so in BA fuel surcharges and go STL-ORD-AMM-NBO-AMM-TLV-MAD-ORD-STL for the same mileage.)

sandi Jan 8th, 2012 02:06 PM

Forgot about Royal Jordanian we used for trip to Egypt w/ stopover Jordan. Then they weren't partnered with anyone, but that's a great option.

I too would avoid LHR (London) as their taxes are way too high, besides I hate the airport itself.