US mailing to Tanzania

Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

US mailing to Tanzania

What are the chances of mail sent from the US to Tanzania being open and stolen from the locals in Tanzania?

I would like to mail some photos I took of school children in Arusha to them. And I would also like to enclose some pens, pencils and notebooks for the school. But I'm afraid a package (vs. a letter) might be opened and the contents stolen.

I have sent packages to my friend in Indonesia and she's told me it's common that this happens there. Most recently, I sent her a small, light package 3 months ago which she never recieved but she receives my letter just fine. She's written me not to feel bad if it never comes because of the theft problems.

I'm thinking this could be a problem in Africa as well.
Does anyone have any experience in this? I met so many Kenyans and Tanzania while travelling and they all gave me their address and wanted the photos.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
sandi

I've sent photos to friends in both Kenya and Tanzania and they've received them. Have never sent anything in bulk.

You may want to consider sending these items via DHL. Sure it'll cost you some, but if it's not heavy, the fee won't be excessive and DHL can track your package.

Another alternative is to send it through the land outfitter you used while you were in Tanzania. Contact them and inquire whether they would be willing to accept the package and see that it gets to the school. Most outfitters are more than agreeable to do so.

If the teacher at the school has access to email, and many of them do... notify the teacher and have them email you when the package is received on their end.

It's doable. Let us know the outcome.

Search this Thread