US appliances in South Africa

Jun 13th, 2001, 08:53 PM
john

US appliances in South Africa

We are going on Our honeymoon to South Africa . I am From the US and have a digital camera with rechargeable batteries. I have a stepdown converter for 220/110 volts, But it says not to be used with TV,radio,computers. It says Us runs on 60 cycles and other countrries at 50? I need to recharge the batteries. will it work? What about high end hotels

Jun 14th, 2001, 04:24 AM
local

John

Two photography stores tell me you should not have a problem with the recharging of your batteries if you bring the converter along. You may have to purchase an adapter plug to make provision for SA sockets.

Thank you for coming to SA for your honeymoon, I hope you have a stunning time!!

Jun 14th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Lisa

Hi John,
I have used a converter purchased at Radio Shack to charge the battery on my camcorder without any problems. It is a 50 watt converter and it has "plug" holes built in. By this I mean, on the front, there are 3 rectangular "buttons" marked Europe-M.East, England- Africa, Australia-Philippines, respectively. When you push the "button" you want,the correct prongs you need for that country pop out at the back.

The one you will actually use for South Africa is the one marked Europe-Middle East. It is 2 "rounded "prongs." The ones for Africa are 2 rectangular prongs and they do not fit in South Africa.

Okay. Are you with me so far?

Now for the next complication. All wall outlets are for big 3 pronged plugs. You have a small 2 pronged plug.This brings us to our next step.

Once you get to South Africa, you will need to go to a supermarket or a store called "Clicks" (which is similar to a drugstore in the US or possibly any drugstore or hardware store.

Ask for a "triple adaptor". This is a type of a plug which fits into the 3-pronged wall outlet. It has space for 2 2-pronged plugs with a space a 3-pronged plug outlet in the middle. YOu will then be able to use the 2 pronged adaptor on one of the sides.

Some hotels may be able to lend you a triple adaptor but it is not always readily available and if you can get your own (they are very cheap) you will be set for traveling around.

This sounds way more complicated than it actually is and it has taken me a few trips to work all this out. (I guess I must be a slow learner) but the best piece of advice I can give you is to get your own triple adaptor. Don't forget to unplug it and take it with you.I keep on buying them there and then leaving them behind!

Have a wonderful trip.

Jun 14th, 2001, 10:07 PM
john

HI Its john again thank you all for your info it was helpful. Sony customer service resonded to my Querry. there answer follows.
When using the MVC-CD1000
Q. Will I be able to recharge the batteries in South Africia, using the
recharger that came with the camera?
A. Yes. The power requirements for the AC-L10A provided with the camera
are
100 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz. The charger adjusts automatically when voltage
falls within these ranges.

Q. Does Sony have an online service for storing digital photos while I
am
abroad?
ImageStation is Sony's new online digital imaging service. ImageStation
lets you view, store, print and share your digital images. You may
take a
tour at the following web address:

http://www.imagestation.com/tour/

You may also contact ImageStation via the following web feedback form:

http://www.imagestation.com/help/support_form.html

Or, call Customer Support toll-free (U.S. only) 877-488-2880.

Search this Thread