URGENT Q: Mara Explorer Camp for migration viewing NEXT WEEKEND

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad is booking a last minute trip to see the migration.

Only camp available is Mara Explorer.

NO private vehicles/ guides available.

Any comments?
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

OK don't worry, he decided to go ahead and book as it was all that was available and looks well located.

They did find a private car in the end but wanted UK£300 per day for it which is too high so he declined but is going to put in a request to be placed in a group with others interested primarily in migration viewing.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 08:58 AM

One of the finest Mara camps by Talek River! However, Governors and Serena would have a slight edge during the migration period as they are both near the Mara River whose extra width and depth can make the crossings more dramatic.

He should insist on full day game drives everyday and this may put most people off being in the same vehicle.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
sandi

Oh, what a thrill! Good for him and king's suggestion to request full day game drives might eliminate other participants - greed can be good!

He's got to take great notes and tell all about the camp - every detail - tents, views, food, service - everything. Is there any chance I might fit into whatever extra space he has in his luggage??? I could probably make it into whatever space, but the weight allowance wouldn't work! LOL!

WOW! This is great!

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:21 AM

Kavey,
your father sounds great, he certainly has some "get up and go"! I love the idea of just jumping at it at the last minute...why not?!!!

Wish him Bon Voyage!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:56 AM

Uh, excuse me Sandi, but I have first dibs on squeezing into his luggage!

Kavey, please make sure he tells all about this camp. I have been intrigued by it for a while now. It has the first female camp manager (and Masai at that!) and is supposed to be quite luxurious, with tubs outside the tents for gameviewing while bathing!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:20 AM
sandi

Kavey - well, well, two women fighting over dad's luggage. Do tell him!

I'm sure he'll have a great time and we look forward to his safe return with lots of information and tales to tell.

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments folks!
Yes he does have get up and go - he (and mum and his sister plus his brother's wife) just got back from an Arctic trip to Spitsbergen and area!

I will suggest he requests all day drives - thanks very much.

I will ask him to report back on the camp etc but he is VERY bad at that so don't expect much. Also he doesn't take cameras anywhere so no pics.

This was the ONLY camp available when he made the enquiry yesterday - it's pretty late to book a high season migration break... so he took it.

Glad to hear it's a good camp.

THANKS AGAIN!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Original Poster

My dad just got back and emailed me the following:

<i>Just reached home.

Saw the migration very first afternoon along with croc getting 1 wildebeast. Also saw 2 Hippos trying to help this animal escape from Croc. Next day saw several crossings totalling around 3000 animals. Was satisfied and then concentrated on other things.

Very good was probably a cheetah with 3 cubs. They were lying down and suddenly got up and mother did stalking and chase and caught the Tommy and it was over in under 60 seconds. Probably even better and the best was same family 2 days later when all 4 chased gazelles and got a baby Tommy and mother taught cubs hunting techniques. Let go ? chase , trip , lift , pull legs etc. Teaching lasting 45 minutes when they killed the animal ,who was exhausted anyway, and then started eating it . I have waited for these kills for 35 years.

Also saw Leopard and Cub (called Belle from Big Cat Diary)

Lots of lions and cubs etc. also babysitter lioness with 4 cubs while rest of pride was hunting.

All the other stuff.

Accommodation turned out to be best choice as it was at right place for crossing and migration. Service was good and personal, staff friendly and food adequate. I am glad Serena was full as that place is on wrong side for watching real migration. Shared jeep 1st afternoon but couple who were with me were sick and I was on my own next morning. Rest of day I had no others so had jeep to myself. I got it by chance and did not have the &pound;300 per day I were quoted. Lot of other times I was on my own as well.

In summary It was great
</i>
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 04:41 AM
sandi

Kavey - I got chills reading your dad's account of his sightings, kills, crossings. What an unbelievable experience first time out. WOW, is all I can think of saying. How lucky can one person get in that situation.

Also pleased to hear that he managed to have the vehicle to himself most of the time, and certainly better then to pay the high surcharge the camp would have charged otherwise.

Though he was short on words, re the Mara Explorer Camp - as you said he might be - it was more than sufficient. Mara Explorer Camp is one of those special camps, small, and has been highly praised for its service, food and staffing from what information I garnered from other resources.

Again, thanks for the update, and glad your dad enjoyed and got all one could hope for from his Migration experience.

Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi
Actually I usually don't even get this much of a detailed report from him... but I did ask him specially!
It sounds like a WONDERFUL trip and I'll look forward to seeing some of those amazing things myself one day.
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM

Kavey,

Please thank your Dad for allowing you to share this with us. It must have been such an incredible experience for him. It also makes me realise that, while I've seen long long lines of Wildebeest &amp; Zebra, I haven't truly witnessed the migration and this has now become a &quot;must do&quot;. If I ever get to experience half of what your Dad did I shall be more than satisfied. This has put Kenya back on my list for a must do second visit!
Old Aug 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Wonderful!!! Wonderful!!! Fantastic!!! Yahoo! Yippee!!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Original Poster

Ruthie, I didn't ask him! But I know he won't mind! He he he