Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Urgent: Egypt, Syria, and Jordan Visas Needed! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/urgent-egypt-syria-and-jordan-visas-needed-63093/)

O Feb 19th, 2000 08:32 AM

Urgent: Egypt, Syria, and Jordan Visas Needed!

Hi. I'm trying to find out if I need visas for Egypt and Syria. I'm leaving in two weeks and I'm getting very frustrated. I called Egypt's embassy and all lines are always busy. Do I need visas for Egypt and Syria or I can get them at the borders? <BR>Does some know phone numbers for Syrian embassy? ... tried to find on the net and no luck. <BR>I think I'm fine with Jordan. I understood from the respnoses that I can get it at the border. <BR>Also, how is Damascus? is it safe right now to travel? I don't see too many questions about Syria. Is it safe?! <BR>Thank you.

Rosemary Feb 19th, 2000 09:18 PM

I don't know anything about Syria, but here's a fax number you can use to get an Egypt visa in advance. You can get it upon arrival - $15 - but I saw a message on the web about a scam going on where people who didn't have their visa in hand were asked for a bribe, and turned back when it was refused. I don't know if that could be true or not. <BR> <BR>Egyptian Consulate in New York, 212 308 7643. They will fax you an application form with instructions. <BR> <BR>I have also seen a message on the web saying Jordan requires that you obtain a visa before you leave your country. Jordan fax no. 202 686 4491. <BR> <BR>Their application calls for a photo to be attached, and the cost is $44. office hours 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 M-F. <BR> <BR>There is also an exit charge when leaving Jordan. <BR> <BR>If I can help further, please let me know. <BR> <BR>Rosemary <BR> <BR>

michele Feb 20th, 2000 03:11 PM

The phone number for the Syrian embassy in DC is:202-232-6313. They should be able to answer your questions.

Calpurnia Feb 25th, 2000 05:23 PM

It's very good to get your visa for Jordan before you leave the States. If you get it at the boarder, it's almost twice as much (about $80) <BR> <BR>Be sure to enjoy swimming and scuba diving in the gulf of Aqaba. EXCELLENT scuba diving there and whatever you do, don't leave Jordan without traveling up to Petra.

Michelle Apr 3rd, 2000 02:23 PM

Just in case anyone is still reading this post: You should never leave your visa requirements until 2 weeks before departure unless you live in a city which has Embassies or consulates for the countries you intend to travel to and you intend to apply in person at those Embassies. Applications by mail can take 6 - 8 weeks. Important: Syria has the most stringent visa requirements of Egypt, Jordan and Syria. Everyone must obtain a Syrian tourist visa in advance from the consulate in their country. If no consulate in your country you are theoretically able to obtain it on arrival, but don't count on it. Note Syria and Lebanon are still at war with Israel, so if there is any evidence in your passport of a past or future trip to Israel you will be denied a visa to Syria. If you do obtain a Syrian Visa while your passport is clean and later acquire some mark in your passport indicating travel to Israel (Visa, stamps from land border crossings from Egypt to Israel or Jordan to Israel) you can be turned away at the border. If you state on your Visa application that you intend to go or have been to Israel or Occupied Palestine, you will be denied a Visa. Regarding travel to Israel and Syria in the same trip, you must plan carefully - this is not comprehensive advice. If you apply for a Syrian Tourist visa at an embassy in a country other than your home country, be warned: The US Embassies around the world do not give out Letters of Recommendation which most Syrian Embassies require in order to grant a tourist visa to a person who is not resident in the country where he/she applies for the tourist visa. (e.g. if you applied for a Syrian tourist visa in Turkey) Countries that do provide letters of recommendation (such as Canadian embassies) usually charge alot of money (e.g. $65.00) which you pay in addition to the Visa fee. Regarding Jordan, most nationals can obtain a visa at the border or airport upon arrival, but check your nationality. It may be cheaper to obtain the Jordanian visa in advance from an embassy or cheaper at the border, depending upon your nationality. Regarding Egypt most nationals can obtain a visa upon arrival at the airport and apparently on the ferry from Aqaba, Jordan to Nuweiba, Egypt. I do not know about the land crossings - you may not be able to get visas there. Again check for your specific travel route and nationality. Visas should be one of the first things that you look into and most countries require that your passport be valid for a minimum of 3 to 6 months beyond your arrival date in the country.